Question about premium IOLs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

90 diopter

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a question I wanted to throw out there for others who may be in a similar situation. I'm a relatively new comprehensive practitioner who primarily does cataract surgery. I went into practice straight out of residency with no fellowship training and never learned how to do laser refractive procedures during residency. I've started implanting some Toric and multifocal IOLs in the last year or so with good success so far. But I think it is inevitable that at some point I will have a patient who ends up with a significant refractive surprise after implanting one of these lenses. Since I do not do LASIK, I'm not exactly sure how I would manage these patients other than an IOL exchange.

How do others deal with this issue? I know for a fact that most comprehensive docs in town are using these lenses as well, but the vast majority of them do not do corneal refractive procedures either, so I imagine this type of situation is fairly common. Is it common for people to set up an agreement with a local LASIK surgeon in the event those services are needed?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

I have a question I wanted to throw out there for others who may be in a similar situation. I'm a relatively new comprehensive practitioner who primarily does cataract surgery. I went into practice straight out of residency with no fellowship training and never learned how to do laser refractive procedures during residency. I've started implanting some Toric and multifocal IOLs in the last year or so with good success so far. But I think it is inevitable that at some point I will have a patient who ends up with a significant refractive surprise after implanting one of these lenses. Since I do not do LASIK, I'm not exactly sure how I would manage these patients other than an IOL exchange.

How do others deal with this issue? I know for a fact that most comprehensive docs in town are using these lenses as well, but the vast majority of them do not do corneal refractive procedures either, so I imagine this type of situation is fairly common. Is it common for people to set up an agreement with a local LASIK surgeon in the event those services are needed?

Any thoughts?

To offer a complete premium IOL package, I highly recommend bundling LASIK with the surgery fees or discount your services & then set up an agreement with a local LASIK surgeon. In both cases, explain to patients that LASIK may be needed to get the best possible result and that in the former, it's a bundled cost, and in the latter, it's an additional cost.

Learn how to do LRIs to fix astigmatism and also operate on the step axis of the cornea to reduce astigmatism when implanting multi-focals.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I'm comfortable doing LRIs, and the price our practice charges for the premium lenses are around the competitive unbundled rate for this area, so I think going the unbundled route with a good informed consent will be the way to go. Thanks again!