Question about programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biolife35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a biology undergrad student starting my final year as an undergrad. As everyone probably knows, registration season is coming up. As such, it is time for me to take my MCAT. Problem is, I am not prepared and, I know this sounds very negative but, feel as though I am not going to do as well as I would want to (I'm taking the MCAT on May 24). I plan on retaking it in early August with hopes of killing it and having the rest of my applications ready already.
If worse comes to worse, I have heard of several post bacc programs that help out people in my position. My question is: would it be better to get an MS in biology at my current institution, get an MS at a different institution (maybe one that has a med school?) or go for the post bacc program. I am seriously freaking out because I am usually on top of everything and when it comes to the most important thing (MCAT), I slipped. I have a 3.7 GPA not including some summer class that I am retaking to up one of my grades. Need some help please!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a 3.7, your GPA is solid, why do you need a PB or a MS program? If you need help with your MCAT take the money and do a prep course

Well, this is just in case I do not end up getting in to medical school with my second MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a biology undergrad student starting my final year as an undergrad. As everyone probably knows, registration season is coming up. As such, it is time for me to take my MCAT. Problem is, I am not prepared and, I know this sounds very negative but, feel as though I am not going to do as well as I would want to (I'm taking the MCAT on May 24). I plan on retaking it in early August with hopes of killing it and having the rest of my applications ready already.
If worse comes to worse, I have heard of several post bacc programs that help out people in my position. My question is: would it be better to get an MS in biology at my current institution, get an MS at a different institution (maybe one that has a med school?) or go for the post bacc program. I am seriously freaking out because I am usually on top of everything and when it comes to the most important thing (MCAT), I slipped. I have a 3.7 GPA not including some summer class that I am retaking to up one of my grades. Need some help please!

If you're not feeling ready why take it? I realize it is probably too late to reschedule but why not just have your 5/24 test voided. Save yourself the stress of having to do better on the retake that you are already planning for in your head.

Why not just focus this summer on your MCAT, which sounds to be the only unproven part of your app so far. Do you need to retake the summer class? Your GPA looks good already.

Well, this is just in case I do not end up getting in to medical school with my second MCAT score.

Take the prep course. They help, seriously... The people I know who've taken them had 6-10+ point gains in their scores...