Question about Prosthetic Groups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArchieMoses

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
from the tpr science wkbk (pg. 41 if you want to see the exact question i'm looking at):

Which of the following statements about prosthetic groups are true?

I. They are non-protein organic molecules.

II. They are added to proteins after translation.

III. They are needed in order for some enzymes to catalyze reactions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the book, all 3 are correct, but I didn't like their explanation.

I figured II, and III were right, but I missed it because I was unsure about I.

According to the diagrams in the passage, prosthetic groups seem to be attached to 1 amino acid, and I was unsure if 1 amino acid was enough to qualify as a protein...which I'm now realizing it isn't. Would you consider 2 linked amino acids a protein then? Its these little things that always get me :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

from the tpr science wkbk (pg. 41 if you want to see the exact question i'm looking at):

Which of the following statements about prosthetic groups are true?

I. They are non-protein organic molecules.

II. They are added to proteins after translation.

III. They are needed in order for some enzymes to catalyze reactions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the book, all 3 are correct, but I didn't like their explanation.

I figured II, and III were right, but I missed it because I was unsure about I.

According to the diagrams in the passage, prosthetic groups seem to be attached to 1 amino acid, and I was unsure if 1 amino acid was enough to qualify as a protein...which I'm now realizing it isn't. Would you consider 2 linked amino acids a protein then? Its these little things that always get me :mad:

The biggest problem I have with this question is I-non-protein organic molecules, some groups are not orgnaic, for example I think Mg2+ or Zn are prosthetic groups in some enzymes.

In regards the proteins though.... 1 amino acid is an amino acid, 2 linked by peptide bond is a peptide, but a not a protein. Protein generally refer to things that are large polypeptides hundreds of peptide bonds and up.

The biggest problem I have with this question is I-non-protein organic molecules, some groups are not orgnaic, for example I think Mg2+ or Zn are prosthetic groups in some enzymes.

In regards the proteins though.... 1 amino acid is an amino acid, 2 linked by peptide bond is a peptide, but a not a protein. Protein generally refer to things that are large polypeptides hundreds of peptide bonds and up.

ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. That first part was confusing.

Prosthetic groups can be organic or inorganic. The question asks which of the statements are true. So answer choice I is acceptable because it is true in certain cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prosthetic groups can be organic or inorganic. The question asks which of the statements are true. So answer choice I is acceptable because it is true in certain cases.

that is true...prosthetic groups can be organic...and some inorganic
Thus, you cant really answer this question.

that is true...prosthetic groups can be organic...and some inorganic
Thus, you cant really answer this question.

yeah. the way statement I is stated, it seems to be suggesting that all prosthetic groups are organic, which they obviously are not. It's really poorly worded, because I can also see how someone might interpret it to mean that "they are organic, but can also be inorganic."