Question about Pseudoephedrine prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CVSstinks

No more retail hell...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering of there was a limit on how much sudafed a pharmacy can dispense to a patient if they have an prescription from their doctor. When I worked at CVS I was told all was kosher with no limits but what the doctor said... But I would really like to see something in writing that describes the law. Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

If it's filled under the prescription, then it can be dispensed under the doctor's written limit. It must follow the federal limit if purchased OTC though.

I was just wondering of there was a limit on how much sudafed a pharmacy can dispense to a patient if they have an prescription from their doctor. When I worked at CVS I was told all was kosher with no limits but what the doctor said... But I would really like to see something in writing that describes the law. Any input?

Federally, there is nothing to describe...if patient has a prescription for it...then it is treated like any other prescription.

Some state laws are more restrictive. Oregon and Mississippi come to mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exhibit A for why pseudoephedrine should not be Rx only.

Thank you guys. That's what I thought.

And why is that?

Really?! If you must ask, shifting from the OTC limited regulations to the RX no limit is just going to increase availability. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse with pain clinics, get ready for sinus clinics :laugh:

Considering a good quantity of meth now comes from Mexico, I don't see RX PSE stopping much. If anything, it will make tracking it harder because it will mean more big brother over the doctor's shoulder.

I live in what used to be the Meth capital of the USA (Oklahoma) and can vouch that there has been a tremendous drop in meth since the Drivers License/Electronic Logs went into effect but there will always be a way when some one has enough will and addiction.