Question about Public Service Loan Forgiveness eligibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedgrl1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there -

A few questions about PSLF for pharmacists - hoping someone can help.

1) Do many pharmacists use PSLF?
2) When/why would a pharmacist not choose PSLF?
3) Are there many pharmacists who don't use PSLF who are looking for alternative ways to manage their student loan debt? If so, what other options are currently available?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there -

A few questions about PSLF for pharmacists - hoping someone can help.

1) Do many pharmacists use PSLF?
2) When/why would a pharmacist not choose PSLF?
3) Are there many pharmacists who don't use PSLF who are looking for alternative ways to manage their student loan debt? If so, what other options are currently available?

Thank you!

1. Some do, on this forum. We have had several discussions on it in the past.
2. There would be several reasons; One, where the student loan amount is low enough the borrower just wants to pay it off quickly and move on. Two, if the borrower works for a private company since the majority of jobs in pharmacy are in community pharmacy and not eligible for PSLF. Three, no one has ever had any student loans forgiven under PSLF. Some do not believe the government will actually follow through with forgiveness, or if they do, retain the tax-free status of PSLF forgiveness.
3. Many refinance their student loans with private loan companies like SoFi, DRB, Common Bond, etc. This is the route I went. I will be student loan debt free in spring 2018.

1. Some do, on this forum. We have had several discussions on it in the past.
2. There would be several reasons; One, where the student loan amount is low enough the borrower just wants to pay it off quickly and move on. Two, if the borrower works for a private company since the majority of jobs in pharmacy are in community pharmacy and not eligible for PSLF. Three, no one has ever had any student loans forgiven under PSLF. Some do not believe the government will actually follow through with forgiveness, or if they do, retain the tax-free status of PSLF forgiveness.
3. Many refinance their student loans with private loan companies like SoFi, DRB, Common Bond, etc. This is the route I went. I will be student loan debt free in spring 2018.

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Apologies for the delayed response.

That is very interesting what you said about PSLF: Three, no one has ever had any student loans forgiven under PSLF.

How do you know this?

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Apologies for the delayed response.

That is very interesting what you said about PSLF: Three, no one has ever had any student loans forgiven under PSLF.

How do you know this?

Program started in 2007, hasnt been 10 years yet

Reactions: 1 user