Question about ranking...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasMD4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to this forum but needed input.

I have been invited to more programs than I expected and now am looking to cancel a bunch. But before doing so I was wondering if you can help me rank each of the following programs by the region they are in or as a whole from best to worst. I understand a lot of this is subjective but still having some basis would be better than randomly canceling them.

Thank you in advance for helping me with this!

UWash
UCa-Irvine
Penn State
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Emory
Jefferson
Georgetown
Temple
Uof Chicago
Michigan
Maryland
Yale
Pitt
Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad.

If this were the Sesame Street one of these things doesn't belong game it would have to be Irvine. You obviously have a preference to the NE and I didn't apply to many in that region so I can't really rank them. Irvine and Maryland jump out to me though. And though UW is a stellar program if you don't have connections there or a reason to jetset to the opposite coast you may consider it as well. But I think I speak for everyone when I say you have a tough choice and even if you drew 10-12 of those programs from a hat to interview at you're gonna be alright.

I have been invited to more programs than I expected and now am looking to cancel a bunch. But before doing so I was wondering if you can help me rank each of the following programs by the region they are in or as a whole from best to worst. I understand a lot of this is subjective but still having some basis would be better than randomly canceling them.

UWash
UCa-Irvine
Penn State
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Emory
Jefferson
Georgetown
Temple
Uof Chicago
Michigan
Maryland
Yale
Pitt
Dartmouth

cut UC-Irvine, Penn State, Jefferson, Georgetown, Temple, Maryland

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at Pitt and love it.

Let me know if I can help clear up any questions about the program.

Your list is great at this point - you can start to decide where you want to live, and what sorts of things you want from your training. You have a nice "problem" on your hands.

Good luck w/things!

dc

UWash
UCa-Irvine
Penn State
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Emory
Jefferson
Georgetown
Temple
Uof Chicago
Michigan
Maryland
Yale
Pitt
Dartmouth

We have several of the same schools. I personally decided to cancel Yale, but I agree with some of the other posters above re: temple, maryland, and Irvine.

We have several of the same schools. I personally decided to cancel Yale, but I agree with some of the other posters above re: temple, maryland, and Irvine.

What was your reasoning behind cancelling Yale? I'm in a bind with missing days from rotation that week and am considering cancelling my interview with them as well.

UWash
UCa-Irvine
Penn State
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Emory
Jefferson
Georgetown
Temple
Uof Chicago
Michigan
Maryland
Yale
Pitt
Dartmouth

5 years ago I interviewed at Dartmouth and loved it - just too cold for me. I also interviewed at NYU and didn't love it...but it doesn't mean it wouldn't have been okay-I cancelled my interviews with U of Chicago an UC Irvine and I attended my Emory interview and thought it was a strong program but I didn't live Atlanta and had pretty much decided my rank list by that time...I didn't apply to the others and don't know too much about them but I do agree that U Wash is a good program but an expensive trip for fun if you don have any real interest in moving out west

Why did you cancel Yale if you don't mind me asking?

I was far from excited about the prospect of living in New Haven, and I had heard that the program there was actually pretty middle of the road, despite the "big name."

I was far from excited about the prospect of living in New Haven, and I had heard that the program there was actually pretty middle of the road, despite the "big name."

My PD told me the same thing

FYI, Beth Israel (one of the Harvard affiliates) sends their anesthesia residents to Dartmouth for regional training.

Will the Yale name still carry you into a good job/fellowship?

Not true, BI residents do not go to Dartmouth for regional training....

Pitt is an excellent program. I'd def keep that one on the list.

True. They have an elective set up for resident swap. Ob for regional. Maybe you are just unaware of the opportunity.

Actually, Dartmouth initiated that elective as a swap, to get more OB. But it never happened.

Actually, Dartmouth initiated that elective as a swap, to get more OB. But it never happened.

It is a possible swap but Dartmouth residents don't generally want to give up their regional time (understandably) so I think that is why it doesn't happen.