Question about reapplying to some schools while being new to others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDorianTurkleton

It builds character.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as a reapplicant this cycle, I am reapplying to plenty of schools that I submitted to/interviewed at last cycle. However, for the schools that I did not send a primary to last cycle (for example, Loyola) I know that I am technically not a reapplicant to their school, but from my AMCAS ID and just the longer gap time, they will probably know I am a reapplicant. Now to the question:

On the essays to my new schools that ask "what I did in my gap year" and "is there anything else you would like to tell us" should I mention anything about applying previously? This is assuming they don't ask explicitly on the app if I have applied to med school before. I don't want it to seem like I am hiding anything from them.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No. Focus on what you've done to make yourself a good candidate. The prompt is not for "why didn't you apply to us last year?"
On the essays to my new schools that ask "what I did in my gap year" and "is there anything else you would like to tell us" should I mention anything about applying previously?

Don't mention it. I was a (multiple) reapplicant and applied to a lot of new schools during the cycle that I got in. None of my interviewers asked me about how many rounds of applications I went through or why I hadn't applied to their school previously, so it's best to just focus on your cumulative application and highlight its strengths.

For the "anything else" section, it'd be good to state how you've improved your application, but only for the schools you're reapplying to.

Reactions: 1 user