Question about receiving interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DayG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If we receive an interview, do I go into it thinking that everyone along me has equal chance of getting in?

Another way to rephrase it, if I get an interview but my grades suck and MCAT sucks, what can I do to make me look better?

Members don't see this ad.

If we receive an interview, do I go into it thinking that everyone along me has equal chance of getting in?

Another way to rephrase it, if I get an interview but my grades suck and MCAT sucks, what can I do to make me look better?

If you're granted an interview, then that school thinks your MCAT/GPA are "good enough". However, when decisions are being made, your GPA/MCAT may still be considered in comparison to other applicants. This process will vary from school to school.

When you receive an interview, your focus should be on the interview yourself because there's nothing you can do about your MCAT or GPA at that point.

Reactions: 7 users

Kill the interview. That's all you can do at that point in time. You not only have to wow the faculty but you need to be confident and convince that you are strong enough scholastically to not only survive the material in medical school but do well in the material.

If you haven't applied then retake classes or do an SMP so that your grades or MCAT don't suck.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If your grades and MCAT score suck, then you wouldn't get an II. You are getting the II because they believe that on paper, at least, you can make it in their program and you have qualities they want in their students.

Med schools do not ration seats or invite two people to fight over one seat. You indeed have an equal chance to every other interviewee.

Your grades and MCAT must have been great for you to get an interview so don't worry about that...focus on those key interview skills and practice !

Reactions: 1 user
If your grades and MCAT score suck, then you wouldn't get an II. You are getting the II because they believe that on paper, at least, you can make it in their program and you have qualities they want in their students.

Med schools do not ration seats or invite two people to fight over one seat. You indeed have an equal chance to every other interviewee.

I agree, but wouldn't you say that applicant A, who in this situation has a stronger application on paper than applicant B, has "more room for error" during their interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools come up with scores for applicants. Even if you are granted an interview and perform well in the interview, your total score might be lower than that of another candidate that didn't do as well on the interview due to their having a higher GPA/MCAT. So it comes down to the schools as each has a different process.

Reactions: 2 users
Just because you get an interview likely does not mean you have a "blank slate" and everyone starts fresh.

Some people are likely so qualified (e.g., 4.0/42 Rhodes Scholar with 5+ first author publications) that the interview is probably more of a "confirmation" that the person does not possess super big red flags.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone your answers are very appreciated. Good luck on those still trying to get in. Congratulations on those that did get in.

One of the schools at which I interviewed was very clear on how the interview factored in to their decision making process. GPA/MCAT "open the door" so to speak. So as long as you meet the minimum requirements, they will look at the rest of your application. They give your application a score and invite you for an interview if you meet a minimum score. After your interview, they add in your interview score, the application score, AND a "score" for the GPA/MCAT. They didn't tell us how everything was weighted. Then based on your overall score, a decision is made.

While I completely understand why you are curious about this, and I have indeed asked the same question myself, I would urge you to focus instead on your interview. You cannot control how the school evaluates you compared to everyone else, but you can do the absolute best you can at your interview. Best of luck to you!