Question about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, sophomore here, currently have been in a research lab (clinical trials for weight management) since the beginning of the semester. I really enjoy the people I work with and feel I could advance, however, how bad is it that the PI does not visit the lab? I basically don't know him so a LOR is not reasonable. The lab supervisor is great though and I know she could write me a detailed letter. Does it make that much of a difference who is writing the letter?

Another question, is it all right to be a research assistant in two labs? Although I'm enjoying what I'm doing at this lab I really want to explore other types of research and possibly independent research with a professor.

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, sophomore here, currently have been in a research lab (clinical trials for weight management) since the beginning of the semester. I really enjoy the people I work with and feel I could advance, however, how bad is it that the PI does not visit the lab? I basically don't know him so a LOR is not reasonable. The lab supervisor is great though and I know she could write me a detailed letter. Does it make that much of a difference who is writing the letter?

Another question, is it all right to be a research assistant in two labs? Although I'm enjoying what I'm doing at this lab I really want to explore other types of research and possibly independent research with a professor.

Thanks for the input!
Have the supervisor write the letter but have the PI sign it so that they basically "co-wrote" it together. I did that and ended up with (what they tell me) was a stellar letter.

And yes its ok to be an assistant in two labs. No lie, I was actually in 3 at one time for a semester.

Have the supervisor write the letter but have the PI sign it so that they basically "co-wrote" it together. I did that and ended up with (what they tell me) was a stellar letter.

And yes its ok to be an assistant in two labs. No lie, I was actually in 3 at one time for a semester.
Thank you! How did you go about asking for this type of letter lol? It feels as if I want the words of the supervisor but the credentials of the PI, which is true but sounds bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! How did you go about asking for this type of letter lol? It feels as if I want the words of the supervisor but the credentials of the PI, which is true but sounds bad.

asking for letters should be a natural conversation. it shouldn't be awkward. when you've put in time in the lab and you have a good relationship with your lab supervisor, casually asking "i'd like for you to co-write the letter with the lab PI" shouldn't be a hard thing to say.

asking for letters should be a natural conversation. it shouldn't be awkward. when you've put in time in the lab and you have a good relationship with your lab supervisor, casually asking "i'd like for you to co-write the letter with the lab PI" shouldn't be a hard thing to say.
You're completely right, thanks for the suggestion!

How does that make sense if the supervisor writes the letter and both people sign it? If I am reading the letter how am I supposed to know what was written be the supervisor and what was from the PI. That's too confusing.

You're completely right, thanks for the suggestion!

Schools don't specify that the PI has to write the LOR. I would let the PI know that you will be asking the supervisor for a LOR because he is in more contact with you. You don't want to keep the PI in the dark. Your goal is to pick one person who will write the best LOR.

How does that make sense if the supervisor writes the letter and both people sign it? If I am reading the letter how am I supposed to know what was written be the supervisor and what was from the PI. That's too confusing.

You are having your supervisor physically write it, but NOT sign it. You are having your PI (your supervisors boss) sign it. That way it is written more specific to you (from the supervisors standpoint) but it has the all clear from the person who actually matters in academia (the person with the PhD).

It is not uncommon to do that. 1 letter, with 1 signature. but the person who signs it is just basically signing that they agree with everything written.

Heck there are times (I never personally did it) where the PI wil have YOU (as in the student) write the letter and then they will sign off on it. It's not unheard of, it also happens when getting letters of red from shadowing too.

One of my strongest letters was written from a dude with a bachelors degree in environmental science, but was signed by one of the top dudes at the USDA. Technically I worked in te top guy's lab, but i only saw him like 5-10 times in 9 months of interning there. So he arranged is so that my supervisor would write it and he would sign off on it and change or fluff up any areas he saw fit.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for the input!
As someone who's done a lot of research (but no pubs :''(

Drop the lab. Your PI doesn't know you. Drop it. He's really important.

Don't work in two labs. Put all your effort in one. Drop one of the labs.