Question about Residencies/Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smohamma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently found out that if someone does an Osteopathic Residency they will not be able to then try to get into an allopathic fellowship program.

I know thats true in Peds, was not sure if that was a general rule regarding all residency/fellowship programs.

So that would mean that if AOA does not have a certain fellowship in a subspecialty and its only available thru Allopathic programs...then you would have to do an allopathic residency to be elgibile for it.

Just want some clarification on this matter, please.

Members don't see this ad.

**edited for inaccuracy. . . see the post below** (I thought you couldn't)

That said, what is the subspeciality that doesn't exist under AOA?

Last edited:
Not true. You can do an allopathic fellowship after an AOA residency...in fact I am doing one right now. There have been many that have done it before. With that being said, some specialties may be a bit more difficult matching into given your AOA training, but it is possible. This has been discussed a handful of times, you may want to try a search.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just recently found out that if someone does an Osteopathic Residency they will not be able to then try to get into an allopathic fellowship program.

I know thats true in Peds, was not sure if that was a general rule regarding all residency/fellowship programs.

So that would mean that if AOA does not have a certain fellowship in a subspecialty and its only available thru Allopathic programs...then you would have to do an allopathic residency to be elgibile for it.

Just want some clarification on this matter, please.

Doubtful true for peds. They just want you to be a graduate of an accredited residency most of the time. Beside, there are only two AOA residencies in peds that are not dually accredited.

There are many radiology residents at DO programs who go on to ACGME fellowships.

Definitely NOT true.....although lots of people (residents, PDs) I have talked to said that it was more difficult to match into MD fellowship after doing a DO residency.

As far as I know, that would be correct. AOA and ACGME residencies don't mix.

That said, what is the subspeciality that doesn't exist under AOA?
Cardiothoracic surgery is one. AOA-gen surg graduates have to jump through a number of hurdles to get into an ACGME CT fellowship, but it can be done.

The frustrating answer as to whether or not you can pursue an ACGME fellowship following an AOA residency is... it depends. Each specialty is different. I know for diagnostic radiology, AOA-grads can (and have) entered into every acgme rads fellowship.

There is no golden rule that encompasses every specialty. Different specialty boards follow different guidelines and standards. One of those standards can be (but usually isn't) the AOA/ACGME status of the residency.

Also, when you go from an AOA residency to an ACGME fellowship, the ACGME does not certify you. Instead, the AOA certifies you. However, if there is no AOA specialty board equivalent to your fellowship, you will not be certified by anyone, AOA or ACGME. I don’t know the ramifications of this, by the way.

Also, when you go from an AOA residency to an ACGME fellowship, the ACGME does not certify you. Instead, the AOA certifies you. However, if there is no AOA specialty board equivalent to your fellowship, you will not be certified by anyone, AOA or ACGME. I don’t know the ramifications of this, by the way.
Sometimes it won't make any difference. Places will hire you and pay you regardless of whether you've been fellow board-certified or not. I know radiologists have been hired and paid even though they never passed all of their rad boards. Sometimes insurance companies will raise a stink and refuse to pay for certain procedures unless the physician was fellow boarded.

Outside of problems with insurance and ability to get hired... the only other instance where not being boarded is when you get sued and it will be suggested that you practiced medicine you weren't "certified" in.