Question about residency matching from a nontrad premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bumblebee611

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

Sorry to barge in from the pre-osteo forum but thought I'd get the best answer to my question here. I'm a seriously older nontrad applying to the one DO and the one MD program in my home state. I'm tied to where I live by kids and an ex with whom I share custody of the kids. I would be delighted to have the opportunity to attend either medical school in my state, and I'd like to think I have a decent shot. But I have begun to worry that if I went to the DO school I might find myself unable to match locally when time for residency arrives (kids will be in high school then). As far as I can tell the only residency programs locally are AGCME accredited ones. I have no desire to pursue any of the crazy-competitive specialties or subspecialties, but I am afraid that if I get in and go through with this plan, I might be unable to match locally at all. Would I be allowed to apply to both FM and IM residencies at the same time (which would give me a little wider opportunity to match locally)?

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to predict a crapshoot that depends on many factors. In a few years, everything will be ACGME anyway. Go to the school that you like better. Yes, you can apply to two different specialties at the same time (but not recommended for the same hospital).

Last edited:
It's hard to predict a crapshoot that depends on many factors. In a few years, everything will be ACGME anyway. Go to the school that you like better. Yes, you can apply to two different specialties at the same time (but not recommended for the same hospital).
Thanks so much for the insight. If I might ask a followup -- how would I go about finding out whether the particular program generally takes DOs? (Don't certain programs essentially refuse to entertain applications from DOs, and there is no reason for them to change that even after the whole shift to an all-AGCME system?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at their resident roster (usually under Education/GME on the hospital's website).

Thanks so much for the insight. If I might ask a followup -- how would I go about finding out whether the particular program generally takes DOs? (Don't certain programs essentially refuse to entertain applications from DOs, and there is no reason for them to change that even after the whole shift to an all-AGCME system?)

Very few programs are completely off limit (overall) to DO applicants but they most definitely exist. Ivory towers of academia and the more competitive specialties/programs are relatively difficult to land a spot without connections and/or super med student rock star status (which is truly rare regardless of how many think they fit that description out there). That said, when it comes to matching in general, you should be willing to expand your acceptable geography for residency.

And I'm just going to say this (not to scare you off but to pass along a wise statement I heard a few years back that is worth hearing): If you can think of ANYTHING other than medicine that you will be successful and content doing, do THAT instead, without hesitation. I know you didn't ask for that but that's a meme worth repeating. Cause once you're in this… there ain't no going back.

Best of luck.

Hi-

Sorry to barge in from the pre-osteo forum but thought I'd get the best answer to my question here. I'm a seriously older nontrad applying to the one DO and the one MD program in my home state. I'm tied to where I live by kids and an ex with whom I share custody of the kids. I would be delighted to have the opportunity to attend either medical school in my state, and I'd like to think I have a decent shot. But I have begun to worry that if I went to the DO school I might find myself unable to match locally when time for residency arrives (kids will be in high school then). As far as I can tell the only residency programs locally are AGCME accredited ones. I have no desire to pursue any of the crazy-competitive specialties or subspecialties, but I am afraid that if I get in and go through with this plan, I might be unable to match locally at all. Would I be allowed to apply to both FM and IM residencies at the same time (which would give me a little wider opportunity to match locally)?

First, no matter where you go, the better you do in medical school the easier your chances of matching will be. It is hard to know what you're going to want to do and doing well keeps your options open in case you want to try for something competitive. (yeah, no sh.t right?)

An average DO student can pretty easily match into most FM programs and basically any community IM programs (ie a non-university program). An above average DO applicant can match into most mid-tier university IM programs. The top tier IM programs are just as comptitive as competitive surgical subspecialties.

It is common for people to apply to multiple specialties, especially in the surgical world (ie apply for ENT with general surgery as a backup). It can be done for IM and FM when you are geographically limited.

So to answer your question in a roundabout way, you shouldn't have problems staying in town as a DO unless the residencies are very competitive (ie if the only thing in town was a very strong university program).

Very few programs are completely off limit (overall) to DO applicants but they most definitely exist. Ivory towers of academia and the more competitive specialties/programs are relatively difficult to land a spot without connections and/or super med student rock star status (which is truly rare regardless of how many think they fit that description out there). That said, when it comes to matching in general, you should be willing to expand your acceptable geography for residency.

And I'm just going to say this (not to scare you off but to pass along a wise statement I heard a few years back that is worth hearing): If you can think of ANYTHING other than medicine that you will be successful and content doing, do THAT instead, without hesitation. I know you didn't ask for that but that's a meme worth repeating. Cause once you're in this… there ain't no going back.

Best of luck.
Thanks, Dharma-to be clear it's not that I'm not WILLING to expand my scope geographically, it's that I CAN'T by the terms of my parenting agreement (a legal document) with my ex. I really appreciate the words of caution--I am applying for entrance in 2016 and am trying to spend as much time as I can shadowing and being around patients so I can be absolutely sure this is what I want.

First, no matter where you go, the better you do in medical school the easier your chances of matching will be. It is hard to know what you're going to want to do and doing well keeps your options open in case you want to try for something competitive. (yeah, no sh.t right?)

An average DO student can pretty easily match into most FM programs and basically any community IM programs (ie a non-university program). An above average DO applicant can match into most mid-tier university IM programs. The top tier IM programs are just as comptitive as competitive surgical subspecialties.

It is common for people to apply to multiple specialties, especially in the surgical world (ie apply for ENT with general surgery as a backup). It can be done for IM and FM when you are geographically limited.

So to answer your question in a roundabout way, you shouldn't have problems staying in town as a DO unless the residencies are very competitive (ie if the only thing in town was a very strong university program).
Instatewaiter-thanks so much for the explanation. What's in town, as far as I can tell, is three IM residencies (one university that I'm betting is quite competitive; 2 community) and 3 FM residencies (one at the same university and I'm guessing quite competitive; they've got a very strong reputation for FM; the other two community [with one being kind of far-flung]).