Question about retaking a clas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirateslayme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding retaking a class I feel I may not pass. I recently applied to this year's app cycle and unfortunately feel like I took on too much this term. I feel like I may be in danger of not doing well in genetics and was wondering if anyone knows how schools are about allowing you to retake a course in the spring before potentially going to vet school. Any help or advice is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

sorry for the typo in the title...I'm not sure how to change it :/

I think if you were accepted and then failed a pre-req then the offer would be null and void.

In general each school will calculate GPA a little differently. Some forgive the failed grade when you retake and pass, others will still calculate your GPA including all attempts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also get a tutor and talk to your teacher about what you can do to pass.

Thank you. Unfortunately the class is over. I just had my final yesterday. It was an extension course and ended a bit early. I probably would not completely fail but more like get a C- which I know a lot of schools won't accept.

I think it depends on the school. Some will extend a conditional acceptance. If you do well when retaking the class, then you are in, but if you do poorly again they retract the offer. I know some schools don't want you taking any pre-reqs in the spring though.

Reactions: 1 user
I know some schools don't want you taking any pre-reqs in the spring though.

Huh, I hadn't heard this. All of the schools I am planning on applying to are (to my knowledge) okay with pre-reqs being completed into spring semester, but I suppose I should double check that as I will be completing my last pre-req (physics 2 woooo!) during spring semester of the year I apply.

Sorry about your less than stellar experience with genetics, Pirates! Best of luck to you.

Yeah the schools that I am applying to all seem to accept courses in the spring. I am just worried that this may impact any offers I may receive and so far all my schools don't accept anything less than a C :( This is super nerve wracking!

It seems to be that most schools do the initial round of rejections based off of the straightforward requirements to be accepted (No grades lower than a C, cGPA no lower than ___, etc.). If you applied to a school that required everything to be a C or above, I'd be willing to bet that you'd be flat out rejected. You simply do not meet their requirements. I think most schools require a C or above for all prereqs.

It can't hurt to call your schools and tell them you intend to repeat the course immediately. Either way, they are getting your transcripts from this semester when you send them out...it's better to tell them ASAP and find out what you can do. I think most schools allow you to take pre-reqs in the spring, especially if it's only one class. They just don't want you to apply with the majority of your pre-reqs remaining.

Thank you. I am definitely waiting till I get my grade before I contact anyone about it but I just worry and felt like I needed advice right away in case the worst happens. I appreciate everyone's feedback. :)

Also, if it's any consolation...genetics kicked my butt too (and the professor's....he wasn't allowed to lead the course for a full year after since the class average was so low....:smack:). It is a tough course!! You are not alone!

I agree with what dyachei said. I had misread your older post and thought you KNEW your grade was a C-! It is a great idea to have a plan in place in case you do get a lower grade, though.

Yeah my class only had two tests and one small take home assignment; each test was about 50% of our grade. That along with taking a lot of other courses and working. It would just suck if I made it this far in the process only to not get in cause of this one class :/ But we shall see. Thanks for your support. :)