Question about ROL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimedicine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have to create a Supplemental ROL for each advance position right...because i notice you can have more than one prelim program included in your SROL...so i guess what i'm saying is that...say if i have 3 advance position on my primary list, i should also create 3 different SROL to go with each one...

SO

Advance program A ................A supplemental (with only 1 program on list)
Advance program B.................B supplemental (with only 1 program)
Advance program C..................C supplemental (with only 1 program)

I guess where i got confuse is, why would NRMP even allow you to have more than one program listed for each SROL...Is it because you can attach multiple prelim position for each advance program...i mean can you do the following

Advance program A.............A supplemental (with 3 different prelim on the list)
Advance program B.............B supplemental (with 2 different prelim on list)
etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah dude. Say program a is in Colorado. You make the supplemental list of all Colorado preliminary programs. Say program b is in Ohio, make another supplemental of all Ohio prelims. That way you don't end up matching to first year in Ohio and 345 in Colorado. I was using geographical preference in that example, you can use any criteria you want

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah dude. Say program a is in Colorado. You make the supplemental list of all Colorado preliminary programs. Say program b is in Ohio, make another supplemental of all Ohio prelims. That way you don't end up matching to first year in Ohio and 345 in Colorado. I was using geographical preference in that example, you can use any criteria you want

If u have more than 1 program on prelim/suppl list...it goes in order of preference right...as in it will try to match u to first program on your suppl list then the 2nd, then 3rd etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a way to say that if you match advanced without a prelim to jump to the next categorical? For example:

CAT Program A
CAT Program B
ADV Program A (with Supp A)
ADV Program B (with Supp B)
CAT Program C

So in the above example, let's say that I'd rather match at ADV Program B with a match to one of the intern years in Supp B. But if I don't match any of the intern years in Supp B and would have to scramble, I'd rather match CAT Program C.

If u have more than 1 program on prelim/suppl list...it goes in order of preference right...as in it will try to match u to first program on your suppl list then the 2nd, then 3rd etc...
Yep. It'll match you to advanced spot then do a "mini match" for your supplemental prelim list. But even if you don't match any of the supplemental spots, you're matched with that advanced spot.

Is there a way to say that if you match advanced without a prelim to jump to the next categorical? For example:

CAT Program A
CAT Program B
ADV Program A (with Supp A)
ADV Program B (with Supp B)
CAT Program C

So in the above example, let's say that I'd rather match at ADV Program B with a match to one of the intern years in Supp B. But if I don't match any of the intern years in Supp B and would have to scramble, I'd rather match CAT Program C.
No I think you're stuck with the advanced spot. I think.

Guys I'm just a 4th year. Passing along info the best I can. Maybe someone who's actually had some funky advanced/prelim match stuff happen can verify if the information is correct.

No I think you're stuck with the advanced spot. I think.

I agree with wolverines83, that's why people advice you to rank categorical before advance program so that you dont ve to worry about scrambling for prelim. So ya unfortunately, if you rank adv before categorical and you match to that advance then you're stuck with that program with or without a prelim match to go with it.

We have to create a Supplemental ROL for each advance position right...because i notice you can have more than one prelim program included in your SROL...so i guess what i'm saying is that...say if i have 3 advance position on my primary list, i should also create 3 different SROL to go with each one...

SO

Advance program A ................A supplemental (with only 1 program on list)
Advance program B.................B supplemental (with only 1 program)
Advance program C..................C supplemental (with only 1 program)

I guess where i got confuse is, why would NRMP even allow you to have more than one program listed for each SROL...Is it because you can attach multiple prelim position for each advance program...i mean can you do the following

Advance program A.............A supplemental (with 3 different prelim on the list)
Advance program B.............B supplemental (with 2 different prelim on list)
etc...

Yes, you can have multiple preliminary programs listed on each supplemental rank list. You can also change the program order of your supplemental rank list and the number of programs on your supplemental rank list to match your preferences for each advanced position on your main rank list.

So,
1. Advanced Program A .......... A Supplemental List as follows: 1. Program X, Program Y, Program Z)
2. Advanced Program B .......... B Supplemental List as follows: 1. Program Z, Program Y, Program X, Program U

If you successfully match to an advanced program, but are unable to find a match on the supplementary list that is associated with that advanced anesthesia program, then your match result will be that you have an advanced anesthesia residency and need to SOAP for a prelim. The match algorithm does NOT attempt to go further down your main rank list to find a situation in which you can match for all four years.

Putting only one prelim on your supplemental ROL for each program is asking to end up in a situation where you are scrambling into a surgical prelim.

If you successfully match to an advanced program, but are unable to find a match on the supplementary list that is associated with that advanced anesthesia program, then your match result will be that you have an advanced anesthesia residency and need to SOAP for a prelim. The match algorithm does NOT attempt to go further down your main rank list to find a situation in which you can match for all four years.

Putting only one prelim on your supplemental ROL for each program is asking to end up in a situation where you are scrambling into a surgical prelim.

This is accurate. I don't want to discourage you from ranking advanced positions, especially if there's a program you really love, just keep in mind that you might have to scramble for a prelim if you match an advanced. The algorithm is not set up to move down your list if you don't match both. If you match, you match, that's it.