question about school leave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacat78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I signed the early commitment incentive (agree that I will work for that company after I graduate), and I ask the manager to put me on school leave. During the time of school, can I work for another company as an intern?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your intern license is valid, you should be OK to work as an intern. But, for example... if you are in between your 3rd and 4th year, and decide to take a few quarters off from school for whatever reason, my school said that you would have to surrender your intern license. I guess I'm not sure what your question is, I would contact my school to be absolutely sure about it. you don't want to end up working and then have those hours not count!

As long as your intern license is valid, you should be OK to work as an intern. But, for example... if you are in between your 3rd and 4th year, and decide to take a few quarters off from school for whatever reason, my school said that you would have to surrender your intern license. I guess I'm not sure what your question is, I would contact my school to be absolutely sure about it. you don't want to end up working and then have those hours not count!
My question is If I signed the early commnitment(promise that I will work for them after I graduate), do I have any obligations to be an intern for that specific company while I am in school? Can I work as an intern in other retail pharmacies?

oooh, that's dependent on the pharmacy where you are working. I know that some chains have absolute restrictions on working for a competitor... one particular chain i have in mind restricts ppl from working at another community pharmacy while they are commited to that pharmacy, period. Inpatient pharmacy work is OK.

I think it is best to be honest and ask your employer about it. I'm sure a store manager would be happy to just talk to you about it without getting district people involved.