Question about Scribes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yonko Shanks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there I am anew member. I have a quick question about being a scribe.

Is there any knowledge before hand that I should know?

Is being a scribe considered clinical experience plus shadowing? or only one of the two?

Also, what should I wear?

I start tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there I am anew member. I have a quick question about being a scribe.

Is there any knowledge before hand that I should know?

Is being a scribe considered clinical experience plus shadowing? or only one of the two?

Also, what should I wear?

I start tomorrow.

Um... scrubs? You should be trained first obviously.

Is being a scribe considered clinical experience plus shadowing? or only one of the two?.

It's both (shadowing is clinical experience, though it's often recommended for you to have other experience as well), but if you're talking about for AMCAS purposes, you can only list it in one category. In this case, it would be Employment, Non-Military.

1. You'll be trained; as long as you are sufficient in the English language, you should be fine.

2. It's definitely a clinical experience. I almost vomited (of course I didn't) after smelling one patient in one instance. As for shadowing, I think adcoms would definitely know that scribing essentially has a lot of shadowing involved, but it is still a good idea to get 40+ hours of shadowing experience in different specialties.

3. They'll probably tell you that during training. It's a polo and khakis at the hospital I'm at.