Question about shadowing hours..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a sweet setup volunteering at an underserved dental clinic next year. I only have around 10 shadowing hours right now as I am crazy busy working full time as well as taking classes full time. There simply is no extra time in my day to shadow.

Question is, would this volunteering opportunity count as shadowing as well? I will be working with a general dentist all day long and my pre-dent adviser said there is no reason i could not get a LOR from them.

Just wondering if I can count on this or if I should look for another dentist to shadow as well next year.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've asked this question before and the general consensus is that you can't double dip and count some of the hours as shadowing and some of the hours as volunteering.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
volunteering and shadowing are the same thing.

Not true. If you're standing around and simply observing a dentist, this does not count as volunteering. To volunteer is to provide a service without pay or compensation.

Reactions: 1 users
Not true. If you're standing around and simply observing a dentist, this does not count as volunteering. To volunteer is to provide a service without pay or compensation.

yes you are right shadowing cannot usually be coined as volunteering, but some in cases your volunteering experiences may allow you to have shadowing opportunities at the same facility, is how i meant to put it :)