Question about SLOEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oncolizumab1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year DO student interested in EM. When I'm trying to set up rotations to get SLOEs, should I rotate at places who typically take DO students? I know on the SLOE it asks where they would rank the student, etc. My hometown has a residency but I don't believe they take DOs. Would I be wasting time getting a SLOE there?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should base your aways on places you think you would really like to go for residency. If it's a place that doesn't take DO's your best shot of matching there is to rock an audition.

Reactions: 1 user
If they dont take DOs, they probably wont let you rotate there.

I think that you should rotate at any place you'd like to match, regardless of who may or may not have matched there previously. For all you know, they might not have DOs simply because few have applied; alternatively, they could be like UW, UCSF, Utah, and others that are more than up front about the fact that they don't take DOs.

Regardless, it's better for you to rotate at a well-known, well-regarded place and do well, despite not being ranked to match, than to rotate at some small AOA place that is not known outside its region. Relax about whether or not the program says you'd match there on the SLOE. Read up on the experiences of @QuackaDO and his time at Vandy. Worked well for him.