Question about something for resume...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, here's the deal... back in high school, I made a mod for a flash game for fun, and forgot about it. A few months ago, I was contacted by the flash game creator that the people at atom.com wanted to "license" my game. Well, this licensing comes with money. I didn't do a lot of the coding, so I get 10% of the cut, with the 90% going to the original coder, the original graphics artist, and the other person who made my source code engine. The deal hasn't been completed, since I sent the code to the original guys who made it for final export, but as of today, when I search explicitly for the game title I get 300 results, spreading as far as Hong Kong, and ranging in languages other than the ones I can write, such as Spanish and Chinese.

Obviously, I said yes for money, but, since this development of getting licensed only recently happened, can I put this on my resume? Most of my work I did during high school.

Members don't see this ad.

If it's relevant to the job you're applying for, then sure, put it on there. I'm guessing you have more recent flash coding experiences that you're listing so this just adds a little flavor to that bullet item.

Mmm, well, okay. Would it be considered an extra-curricular? I wasn't doing this as an occupation so much as I was doing it for fun.

To be honest...no one hiring you is going to care unless it is in the computer science arena or maybe bioinformatics if it demonstrates your ability to do some programing. Everyone else (like me) isn't going to understand a thing you are talking about, and thus might be like "oh cool" or "this kid is lame and probably plays video games around the clock". I wouldn't put it on my resume its like putting I played intramural ultimate frisbee and one time we won a cash prize of $200 bucks for defeating carleton's squad in the championship of some tournament...is it cool...i suppose...does anyone else but the person involve really care...the answer is likely a resounding no.