Question about starvation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

During prolonged starvation, the brain metabolizes all of the following molecules as a primary fuel source except:
A. Acetyl CoA
B. Acetone
C. Acetoacetate
D. Beta hydroxybutyrate

The answer was A. Could someone explain this? I thought acetyl CoA was in equilibrium with acetoacetate, so I just crossed them both off. I picked acetone because it seemed unnatural haha

Members don't see this ad.

Can you double-check that answer? I don't think the brain can metabolize acetone- instead we exhale it.

The other ketone bodies (C) and (D) get converted to acetyl-coa which gets further oxidized in the kreb's cycle.

Can you double-check that answer? I don't think the brain can metabolize acetone- instead we exhale it.

The other ketone bodies (C) and (D) get converted to acetyl-coa which gets further oxidized in the kreb's cycle.

It was a discrete in the metabolic pathways chapter of the most updated berkeley biology book.

So the other ketone bodies (C) and (D) cross the blood brain barrier and then get converted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this mix-up comes from the fact that a lot of resources don't give the full story on ketone bodies. Some simply say that the three ketone bodies produced from FA breakdown are used as energy by some cells during starvation, and that's it. This is even the story I was told in BC in university. But you guys are right, it's generally accepted that acetone is not used as a fuel source anywhere in the body and TBR must have an error in their text. Edit: I was wrong here. This seems to be a common misconception, even among textbook writers, but acetone can actually be used as a fuel source. Thanks to @gettheleadout for the clarification and the source!

However, A is also an incorrect answer. The question is asking what the brain uses as a primary fuel source. Acetoacetate and B-hydroxybutyrate are both taken up from the bloodstream by brain cells and then converted to Acetyl-CoA to be used for the CAC. Although Acetyl-CoA is involved, it is not travelling through the bloodstream, and is thus not taken up by brain cells as a fuel source.

Though this may seem like a trivial distinction in wording, it is actually important. The MCAT expects you to understand precisely what each question is asking, and not just what may be involved.

Finally, you mentioned that you thought Acetyl-CoA and acetoacetate are in equilibrium with each other. This is incorrect. Acetoacetate is converted to Acetyl-CoA by enzymes in (essentially) one direction.

Last edited:
I think this mix-up comes from the fact that a lot of resources don't give the full story on ketone bodies. Some simply say that the three ketone bodies produced from FA breakdown are used as energy by some cells during starvation, and that's it. This is even the story I was told in BC in university. But you guys are right, it's generally accepted that acetone is not used as a fuel source anywhere in the body and TBR must have an error in their text.
Not so! See: http://watcut.uwaterloo.ca/webnotes/Metabolism/fatKetoneBodyMetabolism.html#sec237

Reactions: 1 user