Question about Swedish Medical Schools, specifically Karolinska Institute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojoflex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I apologize if that has been previously discussed, but does anyone know the details about Karolinska Institute? Specifically, what types of programs they offer (i.e undergrad, PhD, MD, etc)? Is it similar to the U.S. where residents must first pursue an undergraduate degree and take the basic prereqs (bio, chem, ochem, physics) or can a kid out of high school gain admission directly into their medical school, without such requirements? What exactly are the requirements? Is there a requirement to take the MCAT or equivalent prior to gaining acceptance? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
KI offers all the mentioned programs. The basic prerequisite for medical school is a high school diploma from a natural science program. No undergraduate degree or MCAT is needed. However, I imagine it being very difficult for a non-Swedish student getting accepted to medical school. Theoretically, a high school degree from another country could be accepted as the basic prerequisite, but you would still face the problem that you basically need straight A's to have a shot at getting accepted. If you are not fluent in Swedish your chances are nonexistent.

Opportunities for masters studies (i.e. if you already have an undergraduate degree) for international students are excellent. The masters programs are given in English, and the basic prerequisite is an undergraduate degree. Thus, no need for any knowledge of the local lingo nor for a Swedish high school diploma. A masters degree is however not the same thing as a MD. Note that non-EU students have to pay tuition fees. Also, international Ph.D. students are accepted en masse.

Lastly, some reading material for the weekend: http://ki.se/ki/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=133&l=en

Stockholm is lovely! I hope you find something that suits you!:)