Question about "the greatest challenge"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subtlepenguin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

For questions that ask about the greatest challenge that I've faced so far, would it be appropriate to write about the transition (learning English, assimilating into the culture, etc) I experienced when I moved to the US during elementary school? It seems like most of the answers to the greatest challenge question from previous threads are related mental illness/ death in the family, so I'm not sure if my answer fits the bill.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that an essay on that topic would say a lot about the type of person you are, your cultural sensitivity (an important trait for doctors these days), and your ability to adapt. It's a learning experience, so it's easy to spin positively. Go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

For questions that ask about the greatest challenge that I've faced so far, would it be appropriate to write about the transition (learning English, assimilating into the culture, etc) I experienced when I moved to the US during elementary school? It seems like most of the answers to the greatest challenge question from previous threads are related mental illness/ death in the family, so I'm not sure if my answer fits the bill.

Thanks!

young kids soak up new culture/ languages like sponges. If you came to the US during high school or university, definitely, but coming here during elementary school seems to a stretch for you to spin as a challenge to assimilate into a new culture.
A better way is to talk about how you balance your Americanness with your parents' native culture?

These are common themes, but that doesn't necessarily make them bad to use. Many of my "challenge essays" were related to balancing of my family's culture (parents and grandparents) with that of my peers; I think you'll be okay if you take this route. Keep in mind though: this essay isn't a bragfest about how horrible and/or unique your childhood was or how great you might be for overcoming your stated challenge. Rather, the essay is more about demonstrating that you have the capacity to persevere through some adversity (by way of problem-solving, coping mechanisms, etc.), implying that when you inevitably encounter challenges in the future, you'll be able to capably address them, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some schools are more interested in the skills you have as an adult to meet challenges you will encounter as a med student and physician. So, to the extent you can show how you coped or overcame your greatest challenge to date, you will reassure the adcom that you have skills you can call on to deal with challenges in your future.