Question about the guys....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Are most guys in OB/Gyn effeminate in personality / subdued? Do you ever have a more aggressive "dominant" personality in the guys? I realize you are dealing with female patients in very delicate interactions, but I'm curious what the overall consensus is.

Hope this post doesn't strike too many wrong cords. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Are most guys in OB/Gyn effeminate in personality / subdued? Do you ever have a more aggressive "dominant" personality in the guys? I realize you are dealing with female patients in very delicate interactions, but I'm curious what the overall consensus is.

Hope this post doesn't strike too many wrong cords. Thank you all.

Umm...the hospital i did Ob at only has 1 male resident in their program but plenty of male attendings in Uro Gyn, Ob, and Gyn Onc. I'd have to say they are at par if not more aggressive than the surgery attendings. Maybe it's because their C-sections aren't always planned or that they have two lives on their hands, either way I wouldn't call male Ob attendings subdued at all.

Umm...the hospital i did Ob at only has 1 male resident in their program but plenty of male attendings in Uro Gyn, Ob, and Gyn Onc. I'd have to say they are at par if not more aggressive than the surgery attendings. Maybe it's because their C-sections aren't always planned or that they have two lives on their hands, either way I wouldn't call male Ob attendings subdued at all.

I appreciate the response and apologize for the generalization of this question. The male attendings / residents at my hospital all seem so quiet and less assertive than their counterparts. Trying to get a feel for the personality types and how much mine meshes. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
The guys from my school going into OB and our male residents aren't effeminate, I wouldn't characterize them as "aggressive" either. Lumped in with the male candidates I met on the trail and the male residents at other programs, I think male OB residents run the range of "maleness" in comparison to other specialties.

I'm a male going into Ob/Gyn and I don't consider myself either particularly aggressive or extraordinarily quiet. Males go into Ob for a variety of reasons. I've met gay male ob residents/applicants, straight male ob residents/applicants, and male ob residents who would make orthopedic surgeons proud. I would say Onc in general attracts more aggressive personalities (guys and girls) since it's more of a surgical specialty, but that's not always true. Also a lot of the older faculty at programs I interviewed at were males as you would expect, since it's not that long ago that medicine used to be much more male-dominated. I would say that these faculty tended to be a bit more aggressive, but I don't know whether to attribute that to their "maleness" or their age or their position.

Like jv24601, I am a male planning to apply for OB/GYN residencies. I also would not consider mysellf particularly aggressive or extraordinarily quiet. I think that especially males, are drawn to OB/GYN for a particular reason, 1/2 surgery 1/2 primary care, obstetrics, or the specicialties (REI/MFM/gy onc), and not because their personality seems best for it.

all the attendings in my ob/gyn rotations were pretty aggressive, except for maybe 1. but that one was definitely not effeminate

I don't consider myself effeminate. I enjoy sports and discussing politics. At the same time I don't have a huge pickup with a pair of balls hanging off the back.