Question about the origin code on prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justjoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say that another pharmacy faxes you the hardcopy of a prescription that was never filled.

What origin code do you use?

If the other pharmacy faxes you an electronic rx, do you enter 3 for electronic, 4 for fax, or 5 for transfer?

What if the other pharmacy faxes you a written rx? Is it 1 for written, 4 for faxed, or 5 for transfer?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to say that it's based on the actual origin of the script and not necessarily the method the other pharmacy sent it to you though, but I could be wrong... I'd go with 1 for hard-copy, 3 for electronic and 1 for written.

If I write 1 (written) for a prescription claim, I better have the original hardcopy in my hands or coming to me. If I get a prescription faxed from another pharmacy which hasn't been filled before, I cheat and I type in as a telephone call in from the MD office, and I make it as a telephone. I just keep the fax with it stapled to the telephone prescription, not for auditing purposes, but in case there is ever an issue with the doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um they transferred it to you, its a transfer.

Reactions: 1 user
Um they transferred it to you, its a transfer.
I think he means if they don't ever put it in their system like they're giving you the new rx but at Walmart we always drop it in our system and put it on hold and do a transfer. The only time we just fax a rx is if its just a random medical supply then we just fax it right to the medical supply place we have in town. Like if our fax says "walker" well print it out and immediately fax to the medical supply then give a copy to the patient.

I think he means if they don't ever put it in their system like they're giving you the new rx but at Walmart we always drop it in our system and put it on hold and do a transfer. The only time we just fax a rx is if its just a random medical supply then we just fax it right to the medical supply place we have in town. Like if our fax says "walker" well print it out and immediately fax to the medical supply then give a copy to the patient.

I still put it in as a transfer and enter the script number as "never filled". Never know when those pesky auditors will nitpick over something like that.

I put "telephone" for anything questionable. If you say you have a written RX, an auditor may make you prove it. I don't think they're so nitpicky the other way around.

Is there a way for rph to check at verification the correct origin code was used if techs are doing drop off? I didn't think it mattered too much except for Medicare part b if you put 1-written or 2-telephone