question about the personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcb4413

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be the proper way to go about writing a personal statement if this is the second time I am applying? Should I try to do something different than before? Should I submit the same one? I am just afraid that I may be unintentionally contradicting myself in the next personal statment just by the fact that I am writing it again. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

on my second time around, I wrote how the extra year gave me new opportunities to learn about medicine in my job, and to gain further responsibilities I would not have otherwise received. I also reinforced that my commitment and desire to study medicine have never wavered, and how i was optimistic about this time around. I also said how my extra year of working at the ER gave me some new insight into medicine and that I would ultimately benefit from the experience I had gained. I don't know, maybe thats a little BS, but I got in the second time so I must have done something right. Hope that helps.

While I believe reapplicants should definitely analyze their strengths and weaknesses, including the essay, my prejudice is to substantially rewrite the essay. I can imagine circumstances where the essay would be fine, but unless other factors are totally to blame, you shouldn't resubmit the same thing. And as conmantic pointed out, you will certainly want to incorporate experience and achievements from this past year.

Best of luck this time around!