Question about the University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesvegetables

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question about UC Denver. I've heard great things about the program, and I would love to go there, but I also heard that even if you do an away there, they don't interview you unless you're >250 AND AOA, no matter how you do clinically.

My question is for all the people who rotated there previously/who know more about the program, is that rumor true? Is doing an away there a good idea even if you're not >250 and AOA? I'm AOA, good clinical grades/evals, but my step 1 was not >250. I'm only in the 240s (I know, I'm very stupid). Any info would be greatly appreciated. I was offered an away there, but it overlaps with another away at an institution that interviews everyone who rotates through, so I'm trying to make up my mind on what would be the smarter thing to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Pick the away rotation where you are guaranteed the interview. I interviewed at Colorado and did not rotate there. Wasn't AOA and didn't have > 250. I did hear several tales on the interview trail of people who were upset because they rotated and were not invited to interview, for whatever that's worth. Good luck.

Did you just call yourself "very stupid" for getting a Step 1 score in the 240s? I'm hoping that was sarcastic.

The rumor was that Colorado used to be super picking with Step 1 >250 but they don't do this at this time. I personally know residents that have gone through that program recently that did not have a Step 1>250. When you rotate, you need to be proactive about seeking projects and making connections. If you don't or if your personality is weird, then you might not get an interview.