Question about the validity of old MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nolookpass

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the MCAT in late 2013 and didn't do terrible, but didn't do as well as I could have. I will be taking it again in January 2016 and applying this June for the 2017 cycle. Therfore, correct me if I'm wrong, my 2013 score is no longer valid.

Admissions still can see my 2013 score correct and do they take it into consideration even though it no longer is valid?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks that's what I suspected. I know a lot of schools say they consider the most recent score, so I'm hoping the first one isn't considered even if it's seen.

Yes to your question.

What schools say on record publicly and actually do with multiple MCAT attempts are two very different things. This is something gyngyn talks about all the time. I remember someone listing a bunch of schools that say most recent attempt considered and gyngyn saying he knew some of them on that list really averaged mutliple attempts or put similar weight in all attempts but just list the highest score for their schools averages and that is how they classify "consider the highest".

The only reason I bring any of this up is if you have a solid score(around 31+) but are simply just re-taking "because you feel you can do better" that's probably not a great idea. "not doing terrible" can mean many things by SDN standards. Also bear in mind what the statistics show about MCAT retakes. Once you get above 25, less than 40% on the retake do 3+ points better. None of this may be of relevance to you but it is worth noting how schools wording on what they say in public about multiple MCAT attempts can be rather misleading. I only know of one school I've ever talked to that openly told me they average multiple MCAT attempts(Loyola--- I've heard unofficially Jefferson and USF do as well). But there are many more that do and just don't say openly.

Yes to your question.

What schools say on record publicly and actually do with multiple MCAT attempts are two very different things. This is something gyngyn talks about all the time. I remember someone listing a bunch of schools that say most recent attempt considered and gyngyn saying he knew some of them on that list really averaged mutliple attempts or put similar weight in all attempts but just list the highest score for their schools averages and that is how they classify "consider the highest".

The only reason I bring any of this up is if you have a solid score(around 31+) but are simply just re-taking "because you feel you can do better" that's probably not a great idea. "not doing terrible" can mean many things by SDN standards. Also bear in mind what the statistics show about MCAT retakes. Once you get above 25, less than 40% on the retake do 3+ points better. None of this may be of relevance to you but it is worth noting how schools wording on what they say in public about multiple MCAT attempts can be rather misleading. I only know of one school I've ever talked to that openly told me they average multiple MCAT attempts(Loyola--- I've heard unofficially Jefferson and USF do as well). But there are many more that do and just don't say openly.

Appreciate it. Hoping the fact that it's a new exam helps them not weigh my old score too heavily. But who knows. Seeing the old score may influence things.

I received a 29 with somewhat rushed studying. Was doing better on the practice exams 31-32 so I took it, but didn't do as hot on the real thing. Hoping my consistent studying this time pays off.