Question about transitional period for anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Umairshariff23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a fmg from India interested in taking up anesthesiology.

I have found out that an year of transitional residency is a prerequisite for getting into an anesthesiology residency.

I would appreciate more information about this and maybe point me to a website that has a list of transitional residency programs

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I have found out that an year of transitional residency is a prerequisite for getting into an anesthesiology residency.

I would appreciate more information about this and maybe point me to a website that has a list of transitional residency programs

Thank you
Here's my understanding: There are two types of anesthesia residency programs -- categorical and advanced. Advanced is 4 years. Categorical is 3 years, but you have to do a 1 year prelim year or transitional year (TY) before the 3 years, so still 4 years total, but you will likely end up doing the TY or prelim in a different place than the anesthesia residency. TYs are generally harder to get than prelim.

As for website, FREIDA.

Bashwell is right, essentially you have to do an entire residency including intern/PGY-1 year (which is what OP is referring to). In some instances PGY1 can be skipped, but I'm totally in the dark there...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing PGY1 can be skipped if someone has already done the equivalent of an intern year (e.g., they were an IM resident who did PGY1 in IM then switched to anesthesia)?

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't really have a problem with spending 4 years doing something since my first priority has been neurosurgery and anesthesia will be my second priority

So now, I need to find some places that offer the advanced residency. I will start with the website you mentioned, besides that do you have any recommendations or suggestions??

I'm guessing PGY1 can be skipped if someone has already done the equivalent of an intern year (e.g., they were an IM resident who did PGY1 in IM then switched to anesthesia)?

That seems like a good option for those who took up an alternative field and are not happy. For me it's not much of an option because I am just starting out.

Thanks for the tidbit though

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't really have a problem with spending 4 years doing something since my first priority has been neurosurgery and anesthesia will be my second priority

So now, I need to find some places that offer the advanced residency. I will start with the website you mentioned, besides that do you have any recommendations or suggestions??
That seems like a good option for those who took up an alternative field and are not happy. For me it's not much of an option because I am just starting out.

Thanks for the tidbit though
Just a word or two of caution:

1) Neurosurgery is extremely competitive for an IMG. Actually, anesthesia is pretty competitive too (though obviously not as competitive as neurosurgery). But my point is maybe anesthesia isn't competitive for AMGs, but as an IMG (needing a visa etc) I would definitely not count on anesthesia as a backup!

2) Check out NRMP.

3) And don't necessarily count on switching into anesthesia from another specialty either (e.g, FM, IM). Just because it can happen for AMGs doesn't necessarily mean it can happen for IMGs. The same "rules" (so to speak) don't necessarily apply to IMGs.

Last edited:

Thank you
You will NOT get into either neurosurgery or TY. Stop dreaming.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or missing anything, but according to what I see in NRMP (2016):

Neurological Surgery
-Stats: 216 positions offered, 200 U.S. Seniors (allopathic) matched, 3 U.S. IMGs filled, 8 non-U.S. IMGs filled
-U.S. Seniors: 200/216 = 92.6%
-U.S. IMGs: 3/216 = 1.4%
-Non-U.S. IMGs: 8/216 = 3.7%

Anesthesia (PGY-1)
-Stats: 1127 positions offered, 774 U.S. Seniors (allopathic) matched, 70 U.S. IMGs filled, 55 non-U.S. IMGs filled
-U.S. Seniors: 774/1127 = 68.7%
-U.S. IMGs: 70/1127 = 6.2%
-Non-U.S. IMGs: 55/1127 = 4.9%

Anesthesia (PGY-2)
-Stats: 481 positions offered, 290 U.S. Seniors (allopathic) matched, 44 U.S. IMGs filled, 25 non-U.S. IMGs filled
-U.S. Seniors: 290/481 = 60.9%
-U.S. IMGs: 44/481 = 9.1%
-Non-U.S. IMGs: 25/481 = 5.2%

Transitional
-Stats: 838 positions offered, 673 U.S. Seniors (allopathic) matched, 37 U.S. IMGs filled, 38 non-U.S. IMGs filled
-U.S. Seniors: 673/838 = 80.3%
-U.S. IMGs: 37/838 = 4.4%
-Non-U.S. IMGs: 38/838 = 4.5%

None of this includes other important factors such as USMLE Step 1, Step 2CK, USCE, research, previous medical training (e.g., whether or not they were an attending in their own nation), what their favorite color is, etc.

Last edited:
While it will be extraordinarily difficult even with crazy stats (260+ step1/2, lots of research), I would not say it is 100% impossible.

Even Johns Hopkins has 3 FMGs in their neurosurgery residency, for example:
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neur...ies/neurosurgery_residency/current_residents/

Universidad Autonoma de San Luis Potos
University of Barcelona
University of Athens
Nothing is impossible in America, except running for president. ;)

Would you bet $10,000 that s/he gets into a neurosurgery program? I wouldn't. Any FMG who does is outstanding. Btw, Western Eruopeans don't tend to come to the US for medical studies, so two of those three guys are very atypical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing is impossible in America, except running for president. ;)

Would you bet $10,000 that s/he gets into a neurosurgery program? I wouldn't. Any FMG who does is outstanding. Btw, Western Eruopeans don't tend to come to the US for medical studies, so two of those three guys are very atypical.

Who's to say the OP is not outstanding. In my career I've encountered outstanding IMGs in both anesthesia and neurosurgery. Much better than the average AMG.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a word or two of caution:

1) Neurosurgery is extremely competitive for an IMG. Actually, anesthesia is pretty competitive too (though obviously not as competitive as neurosurgery). But my point is maybe anesthesia isn't competitive for AMGs, but as an IMG (needing a visa etc) I would definitely not count on anesthesia as a backup!

2) Check out NRMP.

3) And don't necessarily count on switching into anesthesia from another specialty either (e.g, FM, IM). Just because it can happen for AMGs doesn't necessarily mean it can happen for IMGs. The same "rules" (so to speak) don't necessarily apply to IMGs.

Thanks for that info. I have recently applied for a green card thanks to the lucky draw system. Lets assume that I lucked out and got the green card (which i later intend to transform into a citizenship) would I still be facing the same competition as the other IMG's or would I have better chances since I dont have to run around for the visa process every year or so.

A big thanks to all the people who have not shunned me (unlike some) to not take up neurosurgery. I dont know how good or how bad I am, but I am working on it daily. I have my Step 1 in Feb and intend to give Step 2 a few months after. Thank you for your support and encouragement. I really appreciate it

Thanks for that info. I have recently applied for a green card thanks to the lucky draw system. Lets assume that I lucked out and got the green card (which i later intend to transform into a citizenship) would I still be facing the same competition as the other IMG's or would I have better chances since I dont have to run around for the visa process every year or so.

A big thanks to all the people who have not shunned me (unlike some) to not take up neurosurgery. I dont know how good or how bad I am, but I am working on it daily. I have my Step 1 in Feb and intend to give Step 2 a few months after. Thank you for your support and encouragement. I really appreciate it
Oh yeah it will definitely help if you have citizenship. It's still a huge uphill battle, neurosurgery is super competitive even for Americans let alone others. Just see the NRMP data. Either way good luck OP!

Nobody here shunned you. You are just naive to think anybody in neurosurgery will care about your Indian diploma, even if you get high scores on the USMLE. They have tons of American grads with high scores to choose from, tons, and without American hospital experience (and a green card) you are facing an uphill battle to get a good (academic hospital) position even in internal medicine. A lot of the best and brightest foreign medical grads from developing countries tend to come here; you are just a drop in the ocean.

If you were born in India, you are not eligible for a diversity visa (green card lottery) unless your spouse is.

It's good to have dreams, as long as you are aware that reality is different. Otherwise you can end up very very unhappy. Do talk to your co-nationals here for the best advice. Good luck to you.

Nobody here shunned you. You are just naive to think anybody in neurosurgery will care about your Indian diploma, even if you get high scores on the USMLE. They have tons of American grads with high scores to choose from, tons, and without American hospital experience (and a green card) you are facing an uphill battle to get a good (academic hospital) position even in internal medicine. A lot of the best and brightest foreign medical grads from developing countries tend to come here; you are just a drop in the ocean.

If you were born in India, you are not eligible for a diversity visa (green card lottery) unless your spouse is.

It's good to have dreams, as long as you are aware that reality is different. Otherwise you can end up very very unhappy. Do talk to your co-nationals here for the best advice. Good luck to you.

One, you are assuming a lot of things. I was not born in India. I am in the process of getting the green card no matter how far fetched the odds are. I am extending my internship at my native medical school so that i can do an year of internship in USA (which as far as I know equates to work experience).

Secondly, I know the statistics. I know the number of people that apply for neurosurgery each year and get rejected, that is the reason why I have backups. I have never said that I WILL get into NS, if I do, well and good, if I dont, I have other specialties that are not so competitive.

Third, I assume that your intentions are to show me the reality, but what makes you think I have not considered every bad scenario that can ever happen.

Fourth, optimism trumps pessimism

One, you are assuming a lot of things. I was not born in India. I am in the process of getting the green card no matter how far fetched the odds are. I am extending my internship at my native medical school so that i can do an year of internship in USA (which as far as I know equates to work experience).

Secondly, I know the statistics. I know the number of people that apply for neurosurgery each year and get rejected, that is the reason why I have backups. I have never said that I WILL get into NS, if I do, well and good, if I dont, I have other specialties that are not so competitive.

Third, I assume that your intentions are to show me the reality, but what makes you think I have not considered every bad scenario that can ever happen.

I'm not for optimism or pessimism but realism.

I hope you the best OP, I really do, but please realize that for many IMGs there are no "specialties that are not so competitive". Even FM and psych and PM&R (to take a few examples of supposedly non-competitive specialties) are "competitive" for many IMGs. It really depends on what you get on Step 1, 2CK/CS, if you get a green card, how you interview, how you fit into American culture and society, etc.

All this is on the background of every year more and more homegrown American med students are graduating, yet residency spots aren't increasing enough to match the number of American med students graduating each year. At least that's what I hear, but I haven't verified it myself.

In any case, the worst case "scenario" is you don't do well on the USMLEs, you don't get a green card, you don't interview well, etc., and (unfortunately) you don't match to anything in the US. If that happens, then hopefully your "backup" plan includes working in your home nation.

At this point, yes it's "possible" you could match into neurosurgery, but it's just as "possible" you could not match into anything at all. Both doors are currently wide open for you, and you could walk through either door, depending on your USMLEs, green card status, etc.

For example, you mentioned getting an internship in the US. But is that already decided? Isn't that why you are posting and asking about what a transitional year is, because you are trying to figure out what to apply to (i.e., you haven't yet been accepted to an internship in the US)?

Again, I'm not trying to discourage you. But at this point from what you've told us, it sounds like you have a lot of good hopes and dreams (which again I hope the best for you OP). But the problem is there doesn't seem to be any tangible, hard, concrete reasons why any of this will necessarily pan out for you. As far as I can tell, you haven't secured an internship in the US yet, you haven't taken your Step 1, you haven't taken your Step 2CK/CS, you haven't gotten a green card, etc.

In other words, OP, you may have a lot of potential, but none of your potential has been realized yet. That's not being harsh toward you, that's just the reality.

Again, I hope you the best, I hope you get what you want, I hope you are one of the few lucky IMGs who match into neurosurgery in the US. But again it's a huge uphill battle and you started this thread not even knowing how difficult a transitional year was to match into. Nothing wrong with that, we all have to start somewhere. But I'm just saying a dose of reality might not hurt, and in fact a dose of reality might even help you better face the very big challenges ahead of you. If you know how tough it's going to be, then hopefully you'll fight all the more for it. Good luck OP!

Forgive me for being blunt but, as @bashwell pointed out, you are all talk and no proven action yet. It's good to be ambitious but, if I were you, I would revise my expectations (and attitude). Regardless how special you think you are, I can assure you there are better candidates out there, many of them American grads. I would also work harder on coming across as genuinely nice. And, even if not born in India, your statistical chances of getting a diversity visa are probably in the low single digit percentiles, possibly less than 1% (unless you are from some rare nationality).

Come back after you score a 260+ on Step 1 and Step 2. ;)

To correct this: Advanced Anesthesiology programs are the 3 year programs, and Categorical are the 4 year....

Your options will depend on how you've done on the USMLE and the quality of your medical school. If you attend your equivalent to Harvard or Stanford, you're in a much better place than the average FMG. Residency directors open to FMGs know what's what.

--
Il Destriero