Question about used EPPP Study Materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raspy10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have recently passed the EPPP within the past year, did you use past study materials versus buying the latest study materials? If so, how late were they dated back?

I am beginning the process of studying and have been given some handed down materials from Psych Prep that are dated 2007 and am wondering if it would be worth it to buy more recent materials, or if I should sit tight and hold onto what I have.

Being a postdoc with minimal resources does not bode well when AATBS or Psych Prep is asking $400+ from you in one blow!

Members don't see this ad.

most of my psych prep stuff was from 2007, although i also had the weekend workshop from 2010. the only thing that you might need to do is read up on the wais iv for the assessment part....in the audio recordings she is still talking wais iii. that's all i can recall...

i dont think it's necessary to get new stuff. all of mine was passed down.

Thanks! Congrats on passing, btw :) I look forward to being in your shoes in the near future!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of my friends used materials that were passed down (typically from within the last 3-5 years), including sample exams....and they all passed. I used a combination of old exams (~12 that have accumulated from the fellows before me), and I also had access to 2011 AATBS material. I liked the AATBS written material and I liked the pacing options they had to help you study. The problem with AATBS (and other test companies) is that their packages are pricey if you can't split the cost w. other people. Don't automatically go for the most expensive package because most people won't find all of the options useful.

Unless you are a hermit and/or know you can only study alone...I'd highly recommend studying in a small group. You will lose your motivation to read numerous times throughout your studying, so it is nice to have someone else around to help you stay on track. We tried to do a practice exam per week, which sounds like a lot...but I swear doing a couple thousand questions taught me more than everything else combined.

most of my psych prep stuff was from 2007, although i also had the weekend workshop from 2010. the only thing that you might need to do is read up on the wais iv for the assessment part....in the audio recordings she is still talking wais iii. that's all i can recall...

i dont think it's necessary to get new stuff. all of mine was passed down.

I disagree. The EPPP now covers the DSMV, so I wouldn't want any DSMIV questions/material infecting my brain. I wouldn't use any old exams either for this reason. The online questions from AATBS or whomever I think are well worth it and up to date.

From what I'm hearing from people that are taking the new exam, the new DSM-V stuff is minimal. Old materials have been serving just fine. If you want to shell out a few hundred dollars for brand new stuff, feel free though. I prefer the free method of studying.

I used old materials but had the opportunity to compare against a newer edition just briefly. I was especially interested in the multicultural section because the materials I was using (which weren't that old!) were so outdated and offensive that I thought for sure the newer edition would be very different (it wasn't). You're taking a chance but it's probably safe, particularly if you don't have peers to share the cost with.