Question About Vet Assistant Interview Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently a second-year undergrad student and I applied for an entry-level veterinary assistant position over the summer! The hospital treats small animals and exotics and is located in the city.
They called me back and told me that they would like to set up a time where they could chat with me and show me around the treatment rooms and whatnot. I asked her what the appropriate attire would be and she said "comfy, closed-toe shoes and something casual/comfortable in general".
What would you recommend me wearing?

- Clueless individual :(

Oh I'm a girl, btw. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I might have went a bit too casual for my interview, but I wore some nice jeans, a nice blouse/top and I can't remember the shoes. It was 7 years ago... Hopefully some others will answer, though! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend wearing what you would wear for any job interview - nice slacks or skirt and a blouse, or slacks and button down shirt and tie if you're a guy. You can probably get away with khakis and a blouse/button down if you don't have anything nicer, but it's always better to be dressed too professionally rather than too causally.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you expect they may have you do a working interview after your regular interview, pack a pair of clean scrubs and some sneakers in a backpack or purse to change into, but definitely wear something nice, such as a blouse or button-down - business attire. As others have said, better to be too fancy than not formal enough! :) At the clinics I've worked at, I always ended up doing a working interview where you get a feel for the hospital and they get a better sense of you and your skill set.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm going to go ahead and disagree a tiny bit. If you asked and they said casual and comfortable, I definitely would not show up in super nice clothing. I know it may be better to be overdressed but if I instructed someone to come casual and they came in a suit I would definitely think that was weird, so I do think it can go against you (if I hadn't told you, then it would probably be fine). But maybe that's just me.
I think what rainheart described sounds good. If they want casual (but you want to look professional) maybe something like sperrys, nice jeans or kahkis, with a polo or some other not t-shirt, but not very fancy, blouse. Also as others have neocia suggested, pack some scrubs in case!
What they told you to wear is exactly what I was told to wear when I followed a particular equine vet, and it ended up he wanted me in nice jeans, boots, and a polo.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't show up in jeans, no matter what they said.

Well. I mean. If they said "show up in jeans," specifically... ok. But you know what I mean.

Dress professionally. You obviously don't need to wear a suit and tie or the female equivalent, based on what you were told, but don't take the bait and dress too casually, either. Dress nicely.

Even if they don't require it, dressing nicely gives you a professional appearance and improves your chances.

Neocia's advice about packing clean scrubs is super smart advice.

I wouldn't show up in jeans, no matter what they said.

This. I'd probably at least wear khakis even if they said it was okay to be casual. And definitely don't wear jeans if they didn't explicitly say it was okay. That is a good way to get judged the second you walk in the door.

Remember, the interview is the first impression they get of you. And often it's the only impression they get before they decide who to hire. You don't want to leave them thinking you don't know how to be professional. Also, keep in mind that many small animal vets (I'm assuming that's what this position is?) choose to wear professional clothing on a daily basis. If you're dressed more casually for your interview than the vet is for their daily work, that's going to leave a negative impression.

I always wear black dress slacks, a blouse, and a black blazer for all my interviews. Skirt if it's a particularly important interview. I've never felt overdressed or out of place in any veterinary interview.

Granted, I was in high school, so I really didn't know much about proper interview attire at the time. Would I show up in jeans now? No, I wouldn't. Khaki's? Depends on the situation.

Granted, I was in high school, so I really didn't know much about proper interview attire at the time. Would I show up in jeans now? No, I wouldn't. Khaki's? Depends on the situation.

I don't think it's that jeans are 'bad'. From my perspective, if I were a practice owner / vet / whatever, and I had someone coming in who wanted to work there ... I wouldn't rule them OUT for wearing jeans ... but I'd sure look more favorably on someone who showed up a bit more nicely dressed, just because it tells me they care about the image they project and/or they care about the image of my practice. Yanno?

In general, dressing nicely, as LIS says, makes a good impression in an interview.
But if they said dress comfortably, I think they said it for a reason.

I agree no jeans.
But I think khaki's and a nice blouse (or polo shirt or something) seems a great compromise. You can be comfortable and nice that way!

And if they want you to handle a few animals, it is not like you have to change into scrubs or anything.

Definitely don't dress formally if they said to wear casual/comfortable clothing. I did that for an interview one time (business clothing, nothing revealing or colorful) and I was judged for "overdressing" for the job. The interviewer made a comment about it, and they did not offer me that job.

I'm with most people: khakis, sensible blouse and comfortable flats. "Casual and comfortable" may mean tshirt and jeans to them, but what if it means business casual? Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with showing up in nicer clothing as opposed to casual Friday attire. However, did you get any vibes from the clinic when you went in to apply? For example, the clinic I work at gave me a quick working interview first. The doctor herself wears jeans to work (and not 'nice' jeans either). So I knew that wearing khakis and a blazer would be fine to do my sit down interview, and scrubs for my working interview. But, like mentioned, some doctors to choose to wear business attire under a white coat.

It is still better to show up looking very nice. If someone were to tell me to wear "something casual/comfortable in general" I would omit a suit/skirt and opt for the khakis, nice shirt, and possibly a loafer-type shoe. I picture Sunday-best when I read that phrase. Not wedding attire, but not casual Friday either.