Question about volunteering experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

readwriteeat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am going to start volunteering at a clinic for children with developmental delays in a month and was wondering if this volunteer experience would be considered "clinical." In a sense, the kids are "patients," but it's not a typical hospital/clinic setting (the volunteers work in what looks like a recreational center) and I'm not sure if medical schools would prefer volunteer work with more traditional patients in a more traditional setting.

(Regardless of how this would be classified, I'm still going to volunteer at this clinic as I love working with kids and am interested in child psychiatry.)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I am going to start volunteering at a clinic for children with developmental delays in a month and was wondering if this volunteer experience would be considered "clinical." In a sense, the kids are "patients," but it's not a typical hospital/clinic setting (the volunteers work in what looks like a recreational center) and I'm not sure if medical schools would prefer volunteer work with more traditional patients in a more traditional setting.

(Regardless of how this would be classified, I'm still going to volunteer at this clinic as I love working with kids and am interested in child psychiatry.)
No. Not clinical.

Go get clinical elsewhere (hospital, Planned Parenthood, maybe nursing homes etc)

That's a fabulous non clinical experience though!

It depends on your exact role and how you describe it. What professional would you assist, if any? Will you write reports, meet with a multidisciplinary team, follow therapeutic guidelines?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It blurs the line on what's clinical and what's not. But remember, you should have a few clinical gigs and maybe one non-clinical. There's definitely room for it in your app.

If you find it fulfilling, and you're passionate about it, go for it!

Reactions: 2 users
You could consider it clinical if there is some sort of medical component to it.
If it's the exact same thing as the YMCA clubhouse type atmosphere, then no.
Does it have nurses who tend to patients? Do they administer medication? If yes, then sure, by all means claim it.

As a teacher myself, I can tell you there are places for children with educational early start and learning disabilities. Often these places are clinical because they have psychiatric care on site. Other places function as only a daycare. These only have paid teachers and nannies watching and interacting with the children.

A nursing home is clinical only because of the medical component. Otherwise, it'd be considered just an apartment. Assisted living is clinical. Mental health assistance facilities are clinical. In home care is clinical if it is a CNA or RN caring for them. Hospice Care is clinical.

I volunteer at a pregnancy resource center that is licensed by the state to administer pregnancy tests and has an RN on site to give advice.
I considered it clinical.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for your insight! Based on what you all have said, I think the volunteer experience is likely non-clinical, but I'm going to email the clinic to verify. Thanks again, everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Or you could wait until you start and see for yourself exactly what you'd be doing. If it's not clinical it still sounds like a great place to volunteer.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app