Question About Waitlist Selection Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meetsub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question to possible adcoms lurking on SDN out there is simple. Do students who have acceptances, but are waitlisted viewed equally to those that do not have acceptances and are waitlisted? Essentially would an adcom ever think to take someone with no acceptances, especially this late in the cycle off waitlist, as opposed to someone who has one or more. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Adcoms do not know if someone is accepted or not. So until the accepted students withdraw their waitlist queue, everyone in waitlist is viewed the same, at least from what I have been told.

Adcoms do not know if someone is accepted or not. So until the accepted students withdraw their waitlist queue, everyone in waitlist is viewed the same, at least from what I have been told.
Oh okay thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)

Depends on whether the WL is ranked or not.

Some schools also replace male W's with males on the WL and vice versa. Some might do it by region as well, but I'm not sure about this.

To say there's no 'order' to the WL is misguided.

I had actually heard the opposite. I was under the impression that adcoms can see whether or not their waitlisted candidates are holding acceptances elsewhere. Perhaps @gyngyn or @Goro can weigh in on this for you, OP?

I don't believe that's true
Schools that waitlist you can see where you are holding acceptances after April 1
Unsure how thats viewed by the adcoms though

My question to possible adcoms lurking on SDN out there is simple. Do students who have acceptances, but are waitlisted viewed equally to those that do not have acceptances and are waitlisted? Essentially would an adcom ever think to take someone with no acceptances, especially this late in the cycle off waitlist, as opposed to someone who has one or more. Thanks!
It is very early for a school to consider the waitlist, not late.
Your desirability as a candidate is not affected by where you are holding acceptances, but a reasonable person might consider passing over someone holding at a very fine (or much cheaper) school in favor of an equally good candidate holding at a lesser school (or nowhere).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Learned something new. Thanks for correcting me

Reactions: 1 user
Do schools that have an applicant waitlisted only see the waitlisted applicant's active acceptances, or do they also see schools at which an applicant has declined an acceptance offer?

Do schools that have an applicant waitlisted only see the waitlisted applicant's active acceptances, or do they also see schools at which an applicant has declined an acceptance offer?
We can only see what prints out that day.
We may have saved a hard copy, though!