Question about Waitlists and AAMC Traffic Rules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

florida91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a question about how waitlists/acceptances work with the AAMC traffic rules. Up until today, I had no acceptances but was on 3 different waitlists. Today I was accepted off of the waitlist for a particular school and have to respond within a week. If I accept the position and afterwards get an acceptance from another school I’m currently waitlisted at, can I then withdraw from the first school and choose to attend the second school? If anyone knows where exactly to find this in the traffic rules, that’d be great too. I know you can still remain on waitlists after April 30 if you have an acceptance, but wasn't sure how that works if I got my first acceptance after April 30. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, nothing about waitlists change just because you got into a school you were waitlisted at. Everything remains the same and the acceptance is just treated as any other acceptance except the shorter turnaround time to matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can be accepted off of any waitlist until orientation starts.

sometimes you hear stories of students that get off the waitlist of school x at the last day of school x's orientation. Does this mean the spot opened up because someone dropped out of med school before it even began then??

sometimes you hear stories of students that get off the waitlist of school x at the last day of school x's orientation. Does this mean the spot opened up because someone dropped out of med school before it even began then??
More like the school couldn't get its **** together in time when someone ditched them for another WL, I would guess.

More like the school couldn't get its **** together in time when someone ditched them for another WL, I would guess.
A student who has started orientation is no longer eligible for acceptance to an LCME accredited school.

Reactions: 1 user
They can be accepted even later! It's rare, though.

Reactions: 1 user