Question about waitlists/housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbujaMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heres my situation: Im currently waitlisted at a few schools, and sent a letter of intent to one of them. Im also holding on to one acceptence at this point. im starting to look into housing (both on and off campus). The problem is, Im afraid to commit to a year lease in case I do get off the waitlist. that goes for dorming too, they have limited on campus housing and want a commitment i think sometime in may.

The last thing i want is to be stuck with a year committment and then get off a waitlist.

Any suggestions on whats the best way to do this? should i just wait for july to find housing?

Members don't see this ad.

If you feel going to a school that you're waitlisted at is worth the $ you would lose from signing and breaking a lease at another location (the sponsored housing thing that wants a commitment by May), then go ahead and sign. If cost is an issue at all, it would be best to hold off signing anything at all until you know where you are for sure going.

I would say that you might want to talk to some students at the school to which you've been accepted and get an idea of how competitive the market for good housing is. Depending on their answer, you might be wise to give yourself a deadline this summer after which you no longer will wait on your WL schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's probably better to go ahead and sign it.... at most you'll lose a few hundred dollars instead of finding a sucky place to live in

that also makes me wonder.... how do people in med. school become friends and chill out if everyone's living in completely different places... I feel like everyone's gonna be doin' their own thing

Last edited:
I was in your situation last year, and this is what I did:

1) Put my belongings in short-term storage.

2) Found a month-to-month furnished rental.

3) Waited.

Eventually, I got in to my top choice school, took my things out of storage and signed an actual lease. Had I not been so lucky, I could have stayed at that rental until I found a decent place to move into permanently. In the end, I lost very little money, and it was a good choice for me. Good luck.

I was in your situation last year, and this is what I did:

1) Put my belongings in short-term storage.

2) Found a month-to-month furnished rental.

3) Waited.

Eventually, I got in to my top choice school, took my things out of storage and signed an actual lease. Had I not been so lucky, I could have stayed at that rental until I found a decent place to move into permanently. In the end, I lost very little money, and it was a good choice for me. Good luck.

That is a really good idea. I have a feeling that it completely depends on the place, but could anyone give me an idea of how far in advance you should look into monthly rentals? Same as apartments (that is, start now)?