question about what you can bring to the MCAT on Test day.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phixius12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my MCAT is coming up and I was just wondering, are you allowed to bring a stop watch with you for timing purposes? As long as the beeping is off? I've practiced with it this whole time and my friend just told me he doesn't think I can bring one...

Members don't see this ad.

As others have replied, the MCAT will have a clock counting down, from 70 for PS and BS and from 60 for VR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also just so you know, you can't have a watch or anything, and if the proctors accidently let you start the test without realizing it, and the see it, they can void the test, etc.

If you read the MCAT essentials you will see that the only things you can bring into the exam room are pencils which they provide you with, scratch paper which they provide, and a pair of ear plugs which must be in a sealed bag. You can however bring snacks and drinks and meds that you put in your locker and can access during breaks. Also, there's no reason why you should need a stop watch because of the presence of a timer on the computer screen. Have you been taking the AAMC practice tests? They do an excellent job at recreating the real deal.

Nothing passes that door buddy, you can bring food or water but they give you a locker for that. When you go take the test, you are not allowed to bring anything aside from your clothes, reading glasses. They will even use a metal detector. Good luck to you and me!

You cannot bring any sorts of digital clocks, timers, etc. into the testing room.

Be very careful and read the MCAT Essentials!! You can't even touch your notes during break time in your locker. Even if they accidentally fall off your locker, Prometric will report to AAMC.

Just take all the precautions and read over the general guidelines in MCAT Essentials.

For ear plugs, when it says "sealed and inspected..." Does it mean I have to bring an unopened box/pair, or can I take a pair out of the box that I have and put it in a ziplock bag?

For ear plugs, when it says "sealed and inspected..." Does it mean I have to bring an unopened box/pair, or can I take a pair out of the box that I have and put it in a ziplock bag?

Most people bring the foam earplugs. They don't care if they are sealed or not.. I just brought two individual earplugs with me and they were fine with it.

Not sure whether they allow more intricate earplugs.

You are not permitted to bring in any watches, alarm clocks, sundials, or other timepieces into the testing room. A good rule of thumb is that if Flava-Flav would consider accessorizing himself with it, it can't go in the room.

Reactions: 1 user