Question about work experiences in AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lNVlNClBLE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this section include jobs during high school / college, or do these all have to be major life transformative experiences? I thought only three of them had to be such experiences, as noted by the "most meaningful" button.

Members don't see this ad.

Does this section include jobs during high school / college, or do these all have to be major life transformative experiences? I thought only three of them had to be such experiences, as noted by the "most meaningful" button.
Applicants generally include employment from the college years in the Work/Activities section, so that adcomms know how they stayed busy. HS employment that continued after HS graduation and into the college years is also fair game. If you choose to list jobs, they need not be transformative, but they can still give adcomms a feel for your exposure to situations that require people skills, problem solving, and responsibility, etc, which translate well to desirable traits in a future physician.

You are only obliged to designate one activity as "Most Meaningful" with three being the maximum.

Reactions: 1 users
Applicants generally include employment from the college years in the Work/Activities section, so that adcomms know how they stayed busy. HS employment that continued after HS graduation and into the college years is also fair game. If you choose to list jobs, they need not be transformative, but they can still give adcomms a feel for your exposure to situations that require people skills, problem solving, and responsibility, etc, which translate well to desirable traits in a future physician.

You are only obliged to designate one activity as "Most Meaningful" with three being the maximum.

Thank you for the response.

So, if I had two jobs doing construction / other things not related to the medical field during high school that did NOT continue on into college, I should remove them? Would keeping them hurt me at all, or would taking them out and having less activities hurt me more, likely?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, if I had two jobs doing construction / other things not related to the medical field during high school that did NOT continue on into college, I should remove them? Would keeping them hurt me at all, or would taking them out and having less activities hurt me more, likely?
There is no rule that you can't include HS activities, but they won't be much regarded. Including them might be looked on as "fluff." Or not, depending on the individual adcomm.

Alternatives: If you have any other job or activity related to construction during the college years, you might mention the HS jobs in the same space to give context, if you like (like Habitat for Humanity, for example) rather than giving them their own space. Alternatively, you could mention those long-ago jobs somewhere in your PS if you can relate them to your pursuit of medicine.

About nine activities is the average listed, including hobbies and artistic endeavors. Less than five might look sparse, but I'd suggest looking for other ways to fill spots if at all possible.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no rule that you can't include HS activities, but they won't be much regarded. Including them might be looked on as "fluff." Or not, depending on the individual adcomm.

Alternatives: If you have any other job or activity related to construction during the college years, you might mention the HS jobs in the same space to give context, if you like (like Habitat for Humanity, for example) rather than giving them their own space. Alternatively, you could mention those long-ago jobs somewhere in your PS if you can relate them to your pursuit of medicine.

About nine activities is the average listed, including hobbies and artistic endeavors. Less than five might look sparse, but I'd suggest looking for other ways to fill spots if at all possible.

This was extremely helpful; thank you very much!