Question Before Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TakeKare30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently applied to medical school for fall of 2016 and did not have any luck. I plan on pursing a master's degree, retaking the MCAT, and also retaking an undergraduate course or two that I feel I could improve my grade in. With this being said, I attended a public university for my undergraduate degree but I plan on retaking the undergraduate courses elsewhere, more than likely online. When it comes time to reapply for medical school would I just have transcripts sent from both universities I took courses through or should I still have the credits transferred to the university I received the undergraduate degree from and have those courses listed on the official transcript from there? I was a bit confused as to what the best option would be, if there is actually a better option, now that I have officially graduated. Thank you in advance for any help/advice anyone can provide me with.

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to submit a transcript from every university you took coursework from. Regardless of whether some courses that you took at other institutes appear on your undergraduate transcript, AMCAS will require a separate transcript from the other university. If you took the coursework at your undergraduate university, you would only have to send one transcript.

Taking online courses to replace undergrad coursework won't really show improvement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I recently applied to medical school for fall of 2016 and did not have any luck. I plan on pursing a master's degree, retaking the MCAT, and also retaking an undergraduate course or two that I feel I could improve my grade in. With this being said, I attended a public university for my undergraduate degree but I plan on retaking the undergraduate courses elsewhere, more than likely online. When it comes time to reapply for medical school would I just have transcripts sent from both universities I took courses through or should I still have the credits transferred to the university I received the undergraduate degree from and have those courses listed on the official transcript from there? I was a bit confused as to what the best option would be, if there is actually a better option, now that I have officially graduated. Thank you in advance for any help/advice anyone can provide me with.

A master's degree is unlikely to help you get in med school. Taking classes as a non degree seeking student or even repeating classes for grade replacement would be better.

Online courses are a bad idea. Many schools will not accept them.

Reactions: 2 users
Taking online courses to replace undergrad coursework won't really show improvement.
8.gif

A master's degree is unlikely to help you get in med school. Taking classes as a non degree seeking student or even repeating classes for grade replacement would be better.

Online courses are a bad idea. Many schools will not accept them.

Wait... as a non-degree seeking student, does that mean you can take classes after you have graduated and use those repeated classes to replace the classes you took in undergrad? Would that boost my GPA?

Wait... as a non-degree seeking student, does that mean you can take classes after you have graduated and use those repeated classes to replace the classes you took in undergrad? Would that boost my GPA?

Yes.

EDIT: Clarification - this is for DO applications. MD schools just average the grades.

Last edited:
For DO, yes. MD just averages them.

Reactions: 1 user