Question for ADCOMS- How do you keep up with it all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

White_Mamba

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an open question to the SDN adcoms. I am wondering how you manage to keep up with the pure volume at material you have to review. A lot of schools have more than 5,000 people apply each year (some more than 10,000!). Are you able to hold typical hours of employment (9-5), or do you find that you have to stay late a lot of days (particularly during this time of year)?

Just curious because your jobs seem really hard!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@hushcom your input would be awesome:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wondered the same thing when I saw schools with 10,000+ apps. There is just no way those all get read!

Lots of screeners. Keep in mind that about half of those apps are from people who have no business ever setting foot on a med school campus, except as a cavader.

This is an open question to the SDN adcoms. I am wondering how you manage to keep up with the pure volume at material you have to review. A lot of schools have more than 5,000 people apply each year (some more than 10,000!). Are you able to hold typical hours of employment (9-5), or do you find that you have to stay late a lot of days (particularly during this time of year)?

Just curious because your jobs seem really hard!

Reactions: 1 users
Lots of screeners. Keep in mind that about half of those apps are from people who have no business ever setting foot on a med school campus, except as a cavader.
Haha those are some harsh words! I know you don't want to give out too much info, but do you guys (and gals) have other duties besides screening applicants?

Adcom members are faculty volunteers. Some schools, like mine also have student interviewers and Adcom members. Some schools also use members of the community.

Haha those are some harsh words! I know you don't want to give out too much info, but do you guys (and gals) have other duties besides screening applicants?

One person doesn't review every app. When I was on the adcom, I typically reviewed a few hundred of them per season. This is also why many schools screen apps based on things like stats, state of residence, etc. It does take a lot of time, but with everything being electronic nowadays, you don't physically have to be on campus to read the apps.