Question For Dental Students

DrRoyal Pains

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are a Dental Student, I was wondering if there is anything you did not know or wish you knew about your school before you started? You do not have to mention your school, I am just curious. Things can range from academics, being in the clinic, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

before dental school take anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, and histology.... these are you didactic courses and they teach about 100x faster than they do in undergrad and expect you to get it on the first go through, having a strong background in these subjects will help you be better prepared, and hopefully allow you to study less

freaking take gross anatomy with real cadavers.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a Dental Student, I was wondering if there is anything you did not know or wish you knew about your school before you started? You do not have to mention your school, I am just curious. Things can range from academics, being in the clinic, etc.

Biggest thing I wish I knew were seats/chairs/clinic patients. As a young pre-dent, I had no idea what these really meant. I thought that as long as I get in, I'll be good to go. Wrong.

But I got LUCKY.

My school has a simulator that is dedicated to you and yourself ONLY. In addition, I'm assigned patients/chairs in second/third/fourth year GUARANTEED.

But isn't that the norm at other schools?

NO.

Other schools have to sometimes SIGN up for Simulators, and or SHARE Simulators. In addition, people have to SIGN/Fight for patients/chairs in the clinic.

What does this mean???

Simulation Lab is going to be where you LIVE, because your handskills will literally be terrible. You will have to practice over and over and over again to become somewhat proficient. If I didn't have a dedicated sim lab station, and I had to sign up for space, I KNOW I would be worried about getting held back. I spend days/nights/ 5-6+ hours AFTERSCHOOL EVERYDAY doing sim lab work. If I could only sign up for a space/block for 1-2 hours MAX, while trying to get ONE day spot, I would be extremely worried of failing.

Patient/chairs means that you will see various cases, and have the opportunity to practice. What does this mean? You need to see various cases and become proficient in order to graduate. If you don't have a dedicated patient base/chair, then guess what? You're going to have to fight for it. In addition, if you get behind, and can't see the cases...you're going to have to repeat.

I got lucky, because I didn't know any of this really mattered, until I got here. I thank my lucky stars that my school has a sim lab station/patients/chairs just dedicated to one person. If not, I would probably be a 5th year Dental Student, and or extremely stressed dental student.

I'm in my first year now and school is going awesome
Every student in my class have their own lab space and simulator
There is one doctor for every 10 students

This first semester, we already have clinical rotation to shadow/assist third/fourth year students
Patient here is not a problem as there are a ton of them
The school do all the patient scheduling and clinic assignments

Gross anatomy is not too big of a problem for me because I had to take it in my undergrad to graduate. I'm glad that it was a requirement
Definitely take some biochemistry and know the stuff well
The biochem here is not easy

However, we do have a summer session so we have less summer break
And I didnt know that dental students do a lot of drinking =p