Question for DS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistRodman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope all is going well as your first year winds down.

I will be finishing my undergraduate studies in December of 2014 and have the option of taking the following classes:

Embryology , Bacteriology , Endocrinology , Virology , Immunology , Medical Mycology
__

Which of these do you feel would have benefitted you most going into DS? I realize many of these are encompassed by Microbiology as a whole, which makes this difficult.

Histology is not offered in the fall and am considering taking it in the Spring semester during my few months off of school. Thoughts?

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the school. My school hit all of those areas pretty hard so any of them would help. I would imagine most dental schools would want you to know a bit about each as well. If I HAD to pick, maybe immunology or bacteriology.

embryology or immunology...kick out mycology (my school only breezed through it)...unless you got medical micro, i'd take embryology or immunology...i thought my college medical micro was more detailed than dental school's cuz in college i learned about the biochemical mechanism of action of toxins...in dental school, we focused more on clinical presentation

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go with immuno or endocrine if you had to choose. Mycology might be the least significant in dental curriculums with the exception of the med school places like Bereno at Uconn.

Embryo or immuno..... I think immune might be the best because the concepts will stick with you longer and be of higher yield in DS. Sucks to go through immuno cold.

Take anything not related to sciences or dentistry... You are squandering your last few months of being in college when you can be learning anything you'd like. There must be something you are interested in? Otherwise, save the money that you'd be paying to take the classes.

Hope all is going well as your first year winds down.

I will be finishing my undergraduate studies in December of 2014 and have the option of taking the following classes:

Embryology , Bacteriology , Endocrinology , Virology , Immunology , Medical Mycology
__

Which of these do you feel would have benefitted you most going into DS? I realize many of these are encompassed by Microbiology as a whole, which makes this difficult.

Histology is not offered in the fall and am considering taking it in the Spring semester during my few months off of school. Thoughts?

Thank you for your time.
order of most important to least
Immunology,
Bacteriology,
Virology,
Endocrinology
Embryology + mycology <---don't waste your time & money on these two

Immunology. Endocrinology sounds like it would also be important- however, my school didn't offer it.

If I had to pick, immunology for sure.

Honestly though, I graduated in December 2009 and didn't start dental school until the summer of 2010. I seriously considered taking a class like this but instead I did P90X, tutored high school kids and just generally took time off to relax. I'm so glad I did and I don't regret it for a moment.

I know you're in high gear right now and excited for dental school to start but taking a class early means that when you take it again in dental school: you'll have to study a little bit less, meaning you might do a little bit better, which could mean the difference between an A and a B in one class, which ultimately... means almost nothing.

Take a break!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a D1, but I can vouch for immunology. It was my favorite class. I found the material very interesting, which for me, made it easy to learn. Also it helped bring together concepts presented in related classes.