Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Question for G'Town students

Discussion in 'Allopathic' started by liger, 09.30.05.

1. liger

liger Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Just wondering if you all like the school. It seems so great, but I was wondering what the atmosphere was like there and how good y'all think the facilities are. Do you wish you were pass/fail? Also do you know where to find the residency match list. I hear you guys match amazingly well! Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks!
  2. Hoya11

Hoya11 Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    It is very traditional lecture based, multiple choice tests. Facilities improving dramatically, new classrooms and library improvements. honestly, i never really cared in the first place, everything is functional and i am rarely at school compared to studying at home. We essentially are pass/fail, although i do wish it was purely pass fail since it does make the environment more gunnerish for those students trying to make H, or HP (like 30 % of the class). But in the end most everyone is leaving with mostly Ps and they know it. Biggest downside is the cost of living in the area, but the area is awesome. Let me know if i can help any more. Here is the match list from last year, keep in mind it was our best match ever.

http://alumni.georgetown.edu/site/PageServer?pagename=medical_match_day_chart
  3. liger

liger Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Thanks for the info Hoya11. Are you happy you went to G'Town? Do you feel you made the right choice? The match list is really impressive!
  4. batchild39

batchild39 Professional Sloth

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Good atmosphere. Almost anyone can fit in here. I like the H/HP/P/F system. Keeps me motivated and at least I have something to show for my extra work. I don't think I'd do well in a P/F system. The match list may be due to a lack of a strong committment to primary care (maybe I'm overgeneralizing, but they're not as gung ho about it here as other schools). I'm not saying that's a bad thing, and if you're looking at matchlists already you prolly don't mind it either. If you have any questions PM me, cuz I'm on here less than once a month.
  5. Hoya11

Hoya11 Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member

Yeah I am happy I went here, but i was happy to get in anywhere and i had no cheaper option. I hate to keep bringing up money but it is VERY expensive to live around here, aside from the tuition which is very high. you do get as much loan money as you need though so do not worry. And you can live just outside dc and save money but you have to deal with getting to school/traffic. Lots of students live in the area but with a group of other students, which saves money, but also puts you in a place where you cant escape school life, if you know what i mean. So, in my opinion, cost of living is the biggest downside.

Anyways, I agree with what batchild says, its like a specialty factory with less than usual interested in peds/fp/im. It is a great school if you are just looking to hang with the pack academically, but still match competitively in the end. I honestly think we are a lot like every other medical school for the first two years; hard tests, some small groups and labs, nothing really stand outish either way except the area (which is why its so expensive to live in). The dean and upper faculty are all really nice and normal people. Lots of support if you are having trouble and lots of activities and things to do and clubs to join.
  6. Kleintje

Kleintje Why not?

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I found this old thread...I know someone else had some questions about g'town too. If any other students would mind posting their opinions of g'town and the pros and cons it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  7. Kleintje

Kleintje Why not?

SDN 5+ Year Member

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal