Question for my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so currently I am a junior. I took ~65 credits at my local cc and am now at a 4 year university.

cGPA: 3.80
sGPA: 3.90
~4,000+ working hrs and increasing
~2,500 volunteer hrs and increasing

Prerequisite wise I still need to take orgo 1 and orgo 2 which are planned for fall and spring.

I was pre-dental but the more I look into podiatry the more it excites me. It seems like a great profession. I have shadowed a little and plan to do a lot more this upcoming fall.

Anyway on to my question.

Would it be at all possible to apply this Fall for a possible conditional acceptance for Fall 2015? I would still need orgo 1/2, MCAT and lor's. I could have LOR's by October I but would likely apply in August.

Top schools are:
Des Moines
Kent State
Midwestern
NY
Scholl

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yes, you will be fine. I'm not sure if that's your exact order of what school you would like to attend. Your list will probably change once you interview at these schools. Good credentials thought, keep up the good work.

yes, you will be fine. I'm not sure if that's your exact order of what school you would like to attend. Your list will probably change once you interview at these schools. Good credentials thought, keep up the good work.

Thanks man! Going to get started on my app. :)

My only concern is being able to juggle orgo 1/2, biochem, genetics, interviews AND studying for MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your concern is a legit one as that is a workload, its all about "think you can". There's many people that have balanced that type of workload, and Im sure as many who have failed at it, have also successfully completed it with their credentials still intact. However from the looks of things (your cGPA and sGPA) you are a good student who has his/her head in the right place so I would guess you could manage that all in a year. I think the biggest concern, at least to me, out of all that would be the MCAT on top of it all. First off hopefully you are scheduled already so you can avoid the treacherous updated MCAT on steroids. But none the less that test will require a lot of attention just to itself so time management as well as dedication to being able to let go of a lot of your social life and really being able to dedicate yourself to it as well as your other classes will determine whether or not you can do it all. Obviously the worse thing you could do is try to cram all of it into a short time frame only to self destruct in one area or the other and have that backtrack you. However its simple, if you want something bad enough you sacrifice what you have to as well as do what you must to obtain it. I think ya can do it, but good luck to ya!

Like T13ones said, the MCAT come January will be more challenging than the current format. So if you use the 2014 MCAT or earlier books you won't be studying for all which would be on the test. When you say "I am currently a junior" do you mean that your first two years you spent at a CC and this past 2013-14year (Junior year) you took classes at a university? So are you ENTERING your junior year or have you finished your junior year and entering your 4th year?

Because if you are entering your junior year now and you skip out on your Bachelor's degree you should talk to an advisor about that. Obviously once you get your med school degree and residency placement nobody cares whether you have a degree from North Carolina, UCLA, Cal-Berkley, NW Texas State, or anywhere with exception to Ivy Leagues (in my own opinion).

I don't see how someone with that great of a GPA could bomb the MCAT enough to not be considered. If I were doing what you plan on doing I would right now start asking your professors and podiatrist you shadow for a letter of recommendation NOW and email someone at the pod schools about your situation. I know a couple classmates who were studying for the MCAT in the same semester while taking three 400+ level Biochem or Physio classes and they did pretty well on the MCAT, at least well enough to get into DO school. AGAIN, everybody is different.

Reactions: 1 user