Question for OMFS Residents/Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AChad26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to apply to programs and I have done 3 externships to this point. I am very aware about the scope of OMFS and have talked in great detail to some of the program's residents. But there is one question I forgot to ask them about. Have you ever known anyone with back pain to continue with residency or private practice and if so, what did they do to alleviate it? Is there a way to become more comfortable working on patients and adapting your muscles to deal with the torque on your back etc? I have already experienced a lot of this pain from doing extractions and also assisting and I also experience a lot of pain in my feet especially from the great lengths of time standing in the OR. Is it something you get used to, or need special shoes for?

If you could please provide some detailed info as to what I might expect, I would really apprecaite it.

Thanks!
Chad

Members don't see this ad.

Not an OMFS (did another residency), but have had lots of back pain from practicing years of dentistry. It depends on what the problem is. Is it a herniated or bulging disk or is it muscular? If it's muscular, the key, I've found, is having weak abdominal muscles and depending solely on lower back muscles to support you when leaning over. Solution: 1. tense abdominal muscles anytime you lean forward (this takes the stress off of back muscles. 2. Do regular core strengthening exercises. You've heard this before, but lift by bending your knees whenever lifting a weight. 3. Do regular stretching exercises (as corny as it may sound, yoga is good for balance and strengthening the core). I've had pain so bad I couldn't stand up. Since focusing on my core, I have had no pain in over 12 yr. Check w/ your doctor or chiropractor to insure that you don't have any real damage and start exercising. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
hey man, yoga helps.
starting doing it with my wife during my second year in practice and it helps, expecially strengthening your cervical and lumbar musculature. Doing office based procedures 10+ hrs per day and your body demands alot from you. 60 minutes of yoga 4-5 times per week (vinyasa, bikram, whatever you like) helps you stay limber.
Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
stretching and yoga definitely help. I have been practicing OMS 6 yrs and have constant, low level back pain/stiffness. Rarely (maybe once every 12-18 months) I will have 2-3 days of debilitating pain, usually after doing something dumb (moving furniture, major yard work project, ect) so I am Extremely careful about strenuous activity.

Last word of advise, be *extremely* cautious about mentioning your back pain to any Dr or seeking any consultations with chiropractors/mds about back pain complaints...if you have any documented back complaints in any medical record you might find it extremely difficult to obtain disability insurance. As soon as you start residency, obtain a minimal own occupation disability insurance policy with a rider that allows you to increase the coverage in the future without any additional physical exams/health histories. Then you can get your back checked out if its still bothering you. good luck,

I

Be very cautious with doing exercises like sit-ups or crunches. They're not great at focusing on your core muscles and activate the hip flex muscles quite a bit rather than the abdominal muscles. I have read in studies that shortening and strengthening of the hip flex muscles can lead to lower back pain and possibly lower cross syndrome. I would not do them.

IMO a better way to exercise your core is doing planks with padding between your arms and the ground. This will exercise your core in a natural way without facilitating muscular imbalances or putting stress on your lower back.

If you're going to do barbell squats I suggest front squats with an Olympic grip because it is a self corrective exercise and will force you to expand your thoracic cavity. It will also blast your core!

You may also want to look into exercise movements that work muscle groups that oppose your regular movement in dentistry or OMS. For example, many people have over developed chest muscles and develop shoulder pain from pushing movements and hunching. You could then counteract that muscle imbalance by doing pulling movement to develop your back muscles. I had slight shoulder pain from this and was successful in alleviating the pain by exercising opposing muscle groups with a PT.

***disclaimer - I am not any sort of fitness or medical professional. This is just my understanding of some studies I've been reading and my own personal experiences. Dentistry has lead to me investigate back health and posture topics. GL

Last edited: