question for Pharmacists??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Leca

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the years of working in a Pharmacy, has it been worth it?
Do you ever get sick of doing it? Is it just the most repetitive job out there?
Is the pay good enough to live really comfortably in California????
Is the pay that good???

I work as a Pharmacy clerk, finishing up my bachelors right now. Not sure what I'll do after. I really enjoy working Pharmacy, but I am scared that it will get annoying after years.

just curious........do you love your jobs? do you have any regrets?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Leca said:
Is the pay that good???

I work as a Pharmacy clerk, finishing up my bachelors right now. Not sure what I'll do after. I really enjoy working Pharmacy, but I am scared that it will get annoying after years.

As with any job there is good and bad.

pro; Pharmacy has allowed me to live in some very cool places and do some
very cool things. I learned to fly becoming a flight instructor and raised my
children in a Colorado ski town. I passed up opportunities to practice in Alaska
Australia and Saipan, but they were opportunities just the same. While the
rest of the country swelters in a heat wave we enjoyed a glorious summer day of 68 degrees thanks to the portability of pharmacy.

con; the money isn't quite good enough to negate the temptation to work
overtime. Indeed it is an occupational hazard. I missed much of my children's childhood because I was at work. Another occupational hazard is
inactivity and weight gain. Go to any association meeting and look at all the
big bellies. After working a twelve or fourteen hour day the last thing you want to do is exercise. These days I am rabidly against overtime or moonlighting and have endured an extreme paycut to find a position that minimizes the stress inherent in the system. Like many employee pharmacists
my age I am looking to get out or just do it less. 2-3 days a week would be
sustainable for decades to come. Full time will see me in an early grave. Contrast this with the suprising number of octagenerian farmers who still plow
their fields and sport their high school graduation weight.

In the end it isn't about the money at all. Other issues take priority.

Dr. Leca said:
Is the pay that good???

I should've been a rock star. :idea:

Dr. Leca said:
Is the pay that good???

Has it been worth it? yes
Do I ever get sick of doing it? yes
Is it the most repetitive job out there? can be, but mine hasn't been
Is the pay good enough to live really comfortably n CA? not all by itself - you need 2 incomes here, no matter what you do (ok - some exceptions, but I'd have to say generally, you need 2!)
Is the pay that good? what does that mean??????

Do I love my job? Well....I love my career, but thats different from a job. I hate the job of checking pyxis, but I love the job of assuring ICU pts have good drug review. I hate the job of putting away stock, but I love educating ambulatory pts on their medications.

In pharmacy, a job is a task. The career of pharmacy gives you an opportunity to do lots of tasks & pursue lots of avenues of interest. How involved you become depends on you - not the task description. If you don't want to check chemo, mix chemo, follow chemo pts....don't work in a facilitiy which provides that pharmacy service. Likewise, if you like neonates, love intense, acutely unwinding clinical situations, love working with chronically & severely ill children & their families.....work in a tertiary children's hospital.

Do I have regrets? Yes I do - we all do. Like baggywrinkle, I've missed some family milestones, but that is more a function of being an adult. My husband owns his own dental practice & he would say the same thing, but for different reasons. As adults, we need to make choices in what we can do & realize we can't do it all - all the time. I also agree with baggywrinkle - overtime is a negative which can create unhappy (& unhealthy) pharmacists.

Pharmacy should be PART of a balanced life - not your whole life. I'm not nearly at the end of my career, but I've been in it long enough to know I made the right choice, but money was never a factor in the choice I made years ago. I knew that if I was happy with what I did with my mind, I'd be able to make whatever money I made work & I have. But no amount of money in my lifetime or job I've ever had will ever take the place of my family. Its all about choices.