Question for practitioner+MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kendrick lamar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a question for mostly MD/MPH, PharmD/MPH, nurse, JD, etc. with a dual MPH degree.
I am considering doing an MPH program (I am a PharmD) to do more research/policy. I have a lot of compelling reasons, mostly experiences I have delt with in pharmacy school and experiences that are leading me to consider an MPH degree. My GPA is not that competitive and the only graduate level exam I have taken is the GMAT because I was previously considering a PharmD/MBA program which was the only dual degree option in my school. My score is above average but it's not that amazing (it was just a formality at school so I barely studied).
I have a medical student friend who is doing an MPH program with her MD and she thinks that I should able to get in regardless of my scores because my reasoning/essay to do the MPH would be more compelling for admissions than just grades/test scores seeing that I already have a professional degree. I have relevant experiences and am looking into more experiences to explain why I want to do the MPH, and am wondering if that will be enough for getting into public health programs rather than focusing on test scores. I am wondering I taking the GRE to get a competitive test score would be recommended as I have to also study and pay for pharmacy board exams. I am looking into some Ivy League schools too (HSPH, Brown, Columbia) (the program my friend is in is Ivy League) so I'm concerned about my scores.
Any insight would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a medical student friend who is doing an MPH program with her MD and she thinks that I should able to get in regardless of my scores because my reasoning/essay to do the MPH would be more compelling for admissions than just grades/test scores seeing that I already have a professional degree.

There's tons of mph programs out there, from questionable online programs, to unaccredited programs, to the big brand name programs with resources galore. I'm sure you can get into 'a program', but the question is what program/school, are you aiming for, and how competitive you'd be.

I am wondering I taking the GRE to get a competitive test score would be recommended as I have to also study and pay for pharmacy board exams. I am looking into some Ivy League schools too (HSPH, Brown, Columbia) (the program my friend is in is Ivy League) so I'm concerned about my scores.
Any insight would be appreciated

I think you have to take the GRE for most programs, you can call them and ask with regards to pharmacy school tests. Ivy League for public health schools is different from Ivy League for college, UNC is the number 2 public health school in the country, but isn't in the Ivy League. just saying'. Probably the top ten public health schools are Ivy League as far as public health is concerned.

Some public health schools take students with very low grades, less than a 3.0, so I think because you did pharmacy school, they know you can do an mph. (Isn't pharmacy school hard anyway?). You really need to get some public health experience to have a shot at the top programs, I'd say volunteer at a state health department, ask around, get informed, and apply in a year or two. Ain't no need to make a hasty decisions and jump at the first school that you like, at this point, it seems you're uncertain what concentration to do, so I'd say do a lot more research, and get involved and figure out what you want in a school.

Don't apply for an mph school just to see if you can get in somewhere, that's like people who have babies just to see if they're fertile or not, regardless of whether they're ready to be parents. If math wasn't your strong suit, or if you haven't had much math, then maybe take a biostats course, and/or a public health related course at a local college.

There's tons of mph programs out there, from questionable online programs, to unaccredited programs, to the big brand name programs with resources galore. I'm sure you can get into 'a program', but the question is what program/school, are you aiming for, and how competitive you'd be.

I think you have to take the GRE for most programs, you can call them and ask with regards to pharmacy school tests. Ivy League for public health schools is different from Ivy League for college, UNC is the number 2 public health school in the country, but isn't in the Ivy League. just saying'. Probably the top ten public health schools are Ivy League as far as public health is concerned.

Some public health schools take students with very low grades, less than a 3.0, so I think because you did pharmacy school, they know you can do an mph. (Isn't pharmacy school hard anyway?). You really need to get some public health experience to have a shot at the top programs, I'd say volunteer at a state health department, ask around, get informed, and apply in a year or two. Ain't no need to make a hasty decisions and jump at the first school that you like, at this point, it seems you're uncertain what concentration to do, so I'd say do a lot more research, and get involved and figure out what you want in a school.

Don't apply for an mph school just to see if you can get in somewhere, that's like people who have babies just to see if they're fertile or not, regardless of whether they're ready to be parents. If math wasn't your strong suit, or if you haven't had much math, then maybe take a biostats course, and/or a public health related course at a local college.

Thanks for the tips! I worked in a clinic that was specifically for uninsured patients and am looking for public health research/volunteer opportunities right now since I'm taking a break from applying to a job. I took a biostatistics and epi class and might take some coursers or edx courses just so strengthen my knowledge base. I guess I will have to do a lot more research on programs. Thanks again!