Question for PTs: Is this true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxplanck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had many aches, pains, and more debilitating body problems in my life, all of which I've been able to solve through massage, stretching, and exercise. (Back Pain, Carpal Tunnel, leg pain, foot pain, shoulder pain, headaches, you name it.) I suffered for years, due to only marginally effective treatment received from a chiropractor, my own ignorance of the fact that more effective help may have been available through a PT, and my never having been well educated in what I believe to be basic muscle maintenance techniques (massage, effective stretching [which is not a simple topic as there are so many ways that the body can move and levels of tension which can be applied], and essential exercises and techniques).

Having this experience, I notice that very many people seem to be "limping through life" with similar problems which may be resolvable through PT and preventable through education in muscle maintenance. And, many of these people never seem to receive PT, or if they do solve these problems through PT it's only after years or even decades of suffering under the false impression that pain is an unavoidable part of aging, the false idea that the only treatment available is surgery, some other false notion, or the fact that they can't afford PT.

If my observations are accurate and representative of the larger population, then this is an enormous social problem. Would you agree that this is the case? Does your professional experience confirm this idea?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a very real problem, and it stems more from the fact that our profession is poorly understood by the population at large. Their pains are a result of our inability to market our skills.

Hopefully things are changing: http://moveforwardpt.com/