Question for Target Pharmacy Employees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimster45

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started working in a Target Pharmacy about 3 weeks ago. I'm really enjoying the work experience as a tech, but the computer system makes me a little bit nervous.

As far as I know, I think all of the target pharmacies use the same computer system. With that said, can anyone give me pointers on entering health insurance information. It's such a bugger for me. I've learned how to do credit returns, how to enter prescriptions, do refills from dr. auth, quick price, auto refill, but I just can't get the insurance thing down.

Whats the most helpful thing you can tell me? Do you search by BIN #? Or do you usually do the company and with all the typing on the ins. card, how do you know which is the actual plan? The only thing I'm comfortable with is that the cardholder is 01, the spouse is 02, and the children are 03 under the dependent portion.

ANY pointers would be sooooo appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I just started working in a Target Pharmacy about 3 weeks ago. I'm really enjoying the work experience as a tech, but the computer system makes me a little bit nervous.

As far as I know, I think all of the target pharmacies use the same computer system. With that said, can anyone give me pointers on entering health insurance information. It's such a bugger for me. I've learned how to do credit returns, how to enter prescriptions, do refills from dr. auth, quick price, auto refill, but I just can't get the insurance thing down.

Whats the most helpful thing you can tell me? Do you search by BIN #? Or do you usually do the company and with all the typing on the ins. card, how do you know which is the actual plan? The only thing I'm comfortable with is that the cardholder is 01, the spouse is 02, and the children are 03 under the dependent portion.

ANY pointers would be sooooo appreciated!

Well, I don't work at Target, but I have worked at 2 different pharmacies and worked with 3 different computer systems, so here's my advice. I ALWAYS search by BIN. There's no telling what the insurance is named under in the computer. At one pharmacy I worked at, the name on the card didn't have anything to do with the name in the computer. After you search by BIN, make sure either 1) the PCN number matches or 2) the name is a reasonable match. Then, all you gotta do is fill in the ID and group. Don't be intimidated. Insurance isn't scary. ;)

I've worked at Target for years. Go with the biggest (font size) name on the card (unless thats obviously not correct - some cards print the pharmacy info on the back in the SMALLEST TYPE KNOWN TO MAN). Gotta search for it in the "Plan Name" box (3 tabs from the first box on the Insurance Profile). The PCN number won't help at all. BIN helps if all else fails. Once you get the hang of knowing what PDX is telling you to look for, it'll be a breeze.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, i didnt read your post but i wanna post something about Target here.

About 3 years ago i worked as a Target stock clerk. I got fired overed something (kinda embarrassing situation, dont ask). Anyway, at the time i didnt care too much. I was young and never thought i would reget it.

After Target i went on to work at Rite Aid Pharmacy. After a year working there i called Target Pharmacy to ask if they were hiring, and indeed they were. I knew i'd get the job b/c i had alot of expirence and i sorta knew the Target Manager from previously speaking to him. Luck wasn't on my side though. I asked the HR person if they would re-hire some that got fired before and they said no. #@$@!#$.

Edit: I read the OPs post after i typed. I suggest remember what insurance plans are associated with each other. I.E.(GHI and Express Scripts, Oxford and Medco,etc etc). You'll get remember them when you've used them enough tho.

The Target computer system was the bane of my existence. Good luck!

I'm at Target now on a rotation. That PDX system sucks big time. It is sooo sloooowww and antiquated.

It sucks less than Wags stupid system.
i thought walgreen's had the best system out there. what is so bad about it, especially compared to PDX.

I did a rotation at Walgreens and I loved their computer system. It was easy to follow and even guess where things were located. It made a lot more sense to me. I had the biggest issues with PDX by sometimes just tabbing the wrong way.

I did a rotation at Walgreens and I loved their computer system. It was easy to follow and even guess where things were located. It made a lot more sense to me. I had the biggest issues with PDX by sometimes just tabbing the wrong way.

Yeah, the tabs just don't go where you think that they will. It's not very user friendly. I like Walgreens pull down menus and windowing features. It's still not perfect, but it's better than most.

PDX is a pain, especially when trying to rebill and bill multiple insurance plans to see which one works better. I like Rite-Aid's pull down menu to test claims and see how much they'll cost etc. I also like how everything is scanned and filed electronically to determine which needs doctor call back, have been faxed already, require prior authorization, etc. rather than the huge stack of paper files due to DOS- based systems such as PDX.

All of those DOS-based systems aren't intuitive and really just require you to know some basic key stroke tips such as ";l" or "F6" to navigate around. It's just funny how Target tries to make themselves appear to be on the frontier of technology such as their CleaRx system, yet their computer system is so outdated.

I work at Brooks - soon to be Rite-Aid and we currently use RxCare... seems like the one at Target sux.. anyways

there are a couple ins. companies you'll know immediately. At first, I wrote them down on a sheet of paper, after that, I don't even know where it went :p

if you have a bin and pcn, try that, else, only a bin won't give you much, there are so many coverage codes by the same bin.

remember, blue cross ins cards are often put through as 'express scripts', harvard pilgrim plans have no group # , all medicare plans have special codes, for our system, they all start with MD#### that's how you recognize them.

Don't worry, if you choose the wrong insurance, it just won't bill it. The info needs to match in order for the ins. to catch on, with name and DOB, so you won't bill someone else's insurance.

Good luck!

this is my third year with target... and the system's not bad

you just have to get used to it. i did a rotation with walgreens and didn't like their computer system... but i only used it for a little while.

the best way to deal with insurance (i'm sure it's like this for all computer systems out there) is to memorize the big plans codes... after awhile at the computer, it'll become automatic for you. it just takes practice. (plus, having to look at random insurance cards will teach you what codes and numbers you need to look for)

and if you're new to working as a tech, just give it some time. :) target treats their pharmacy employee's extremely well... at least from my experience.

hope this helped