Question for Texas residents!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetHex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, here is a question that might be somewhat uncomfortable for you guys to answer, but will really help me out when i start planning away rotations etc.

I am currently a 3rd year looking to match in Anesthesiology next year. I keep hearing that texas programs really like to accept residents from in-state schools

Is this true: will i have a small chance to match just because i am from out of state in programs at Houston, San Antonio, Temple etc.

Thanks a bunch! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, here is a question that might be somewhat uncomfortable for you guys to answer, but will really help me out when i start planning away rotations etc.

I am currently a 3rd year looking to match in Anesthesiology next year. I keep hearing that texas programs really like to accept residents from in-state schools

Is this true: will i have a small chance to match just because i am from out of state in programs at Houston, San Antonio, Temple etc.

Thanks a bunch! :D

If you got the grades I'm sure you'll get a spot. If not, well ... probably not. Texans like Texas so why would we go anywhere else, but plenty of spots for non-texans. Long live the Republic of Texas!

Temple is an amazing program (at least in Internal Medicine), I highly recommend it ...

TX is usually harder for OOS because there is a shortage of residency spots in TX compared to medical students. There are a lot of us applying for fewer spots. Also, there is a big push in TX to train docs that they know will stay and practice in TX. OOS students obviously are less likely to stay. Its not as bad as CA so you stand a decent shot if you have the grades.....

Yes, I'd just make sure you do the best you can, then when you get interviews explain why you want to move to the great Republic. Sell it well!

Good example: "Texas is great. I would just LOVE to finish my training, become completely fluent in Spanish, and immediately move to rural East Texas where I can care for the diverse, indigent, and hard-working communities that I love so much. Hopefully, I can one day buy a ranch and go hunting in the Hill Country."

Bad: "All my exes live in Texas."

I'm a first year anesthesiology resident at Scott & White in Temple. Out of our 8 spots this year, only 3 were from Texas medical schools.
I don't think they give preference to one or the other, it's all about the applicant and how bad you want to come here. Rock your boards.
Excellent program BTW :)