Question for the dentists that graduated from Nova Southeastern University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlvaDentistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I do not know anyone who study dentistry at Nova, so I decided to make a post here and hope for answers.
I have heard many negative aspects about Nova but from people that did not attend Nova. I do not want to make a decision without knowing the truth about the school.
Some of my questions are:
Will it be more difficult to find jobs after graduating?
How does the school prepare the students?
What are the negative things you noticed about Nova/you didn't like?

If you have positive thoughts about the school feel free to mention them as well.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The truth you are seeking will be people's opinions. Some have good experiences, some bad. Its in a great location, school prepares you fairly well for boards. Some faculty stink. Some are great.

In my experience and others on externships we do just as well as Ivy kids/and other programs. Those of us that want to match to specialties do. Its just like other schools only in a nicer location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies.

flurocore: That is what I am asking for: opinions. We will always find all type of faculty in every school :/ Thank you for the reply.

NTATD: That is correct. A lot of it depends on the student. Thank you for the reply.

Money was not my main concern because I know I will be able to pay it little by little after I graduate. Family is the first reason why I wanted to attend Nova. However I do have a question in regards of the money and materials. Did you guys have to buy many materials for classes? What is the aprox debt ( school only, without including housing, gas, personal things), including tuition, books and materials.

I would never judge a school I didn't attend to, but many students criticize Nova and have told me not to attend there. That's how this post emerged, because I would like to hear more about the program and from people who actually studied there.

Thank you all :)

I don't know about the debt because I did the military 4 yr hpsp and am now about to get out of the Navy after 4 years of service. So I went to school and got paid to go to Nova for free. I think the equipment they make you buy as a D1 is around 11k. Books are all on vitalsource, but this may have changed - graduated in '10. The program is pretty typical to other dental schools, in your third and fourth year they have rotations for you to get more clinic credits for procedures at various sattelite clinics. Money should really be your primary concern and Nova is expensive. You really want none or as little debt as possible - I have a friend paying 416k back in loans from Nova - and his balance continues to increase even as he is working now...due to interest.

I don't know about the debt because I did the military 4 yr hpsp and am now about to get out of the Navy after 4 years of service. So I went to school and got paid to go to Nova for free. I think the equipment they make you buy as a D1 is around 11k. Books are all on vitalsource, but this may have changed - graduated in '10. The program is pretty typical to other dental schools, in your third and fourth year they have rotations for you to get more clinic credits for procedures at various sattelite clinics. Money should really be your primary concern and Nova is expensive. You really want none or as little debt as possible - I have a friend paying 416k back in loans from Nova - and his balance continues to increase even as he is working now...due to interest.
Thanks for the reply.
And yeah, too expensive.

Do you know how much he is earning?

It sounds like he is just making IBR payments, which at that debt load would probably result in an increase given what associate dentists earn.

Last edited:
From what I've heard, they're under new management, but I couldn't imagine things have gotten much better since 2012. My experience: Terrible pt assignments depending on who you know, prof favoritism, lying administrators, etc.

He is a cool guy. Very professional, student-oriented, helpful to those who need it. Looks out for students and genuinely cares about their well being and success. One of the better ones in the upper levels of the administration there.

Experiences with Hal may vary. I did not deal with him a whole lot during my time, so cannot comment other than to say he was professional in all my conversations with him. He did seem to enjoy the attention/power he gets from being able to admit people to dental school.
My main dealings were with the other 2 associate deans (they were all hard to find, between my busy schedule trying to get reqs done and whatever they were pretending to do, there weren't many times to meet). I know one of those 2 ADs isn't there anymore.
Hal was known to be an avid SDNer, fwiw. Hey Hal :wave

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from Nova last year and had a great time. It's a great location and can open doors to any specialties or residency you may want to consider. Like any school there are strengths and weaknesses. I enjoyed my stay and would say most were happy. It does cost a lot but I feel like that is the norm unless you happen to come from a state where you get very cheap in state tuition which are slim pickings. I applied to ortho and matched and so did all 6 others who applied my year. 3 applied for surgery and matched. I think every program will offer opportunity you just have to pay your dues. I had a wonderful time in Florida and wouldn't have like going to any other program more than I did spending my time at Nova. I hope this helps but just take a look at what's important to you and second remember that all programs will leave you with a dmd/dds at the end and that it what matters most. Best of luck with your decision process.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently in Nova and let me tell you: I love it.
1. Lots of parties!!!!
2. Students help each other all the time!
3. The new dean works her ass off to ensure we have better experience than previous classes, all complaints were resolved in a week and you see her almost weekly in school.
4. School is implementing CADCAM in clinic= 7-20 minutes crown fabrication. This is where future holds for dentistry!!!
5. It all depends who you wanna be! You have to cut corners and compromises here and there to make things happen and Nova is best at this! All department chairs are easy to talk to if you want to specialize.
6. Equipment is not as good as UOP but c mon it's decent!
7. Most people want to specialize matched from what I heard, but seriously you don't even know if you like dentistry or not right now, why ask? A lot of people in dental school just want to do the minimum and don't give a **** about their pts well being.
8. It's all about you! Make lots friends, study hard and party hard! YOLO!
9. And if you have to worry about money, don't go to dental school at all. DENTISTRY IS EXPENSIVE, THATS WHY WE CHARGE PREMIUM!

Let me know if you have any question!

My experience at nova was just the opposite. I believe that even the new dean is here at nova, she could not change much of the major decisions.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Lots of parties!!!!
3. The new dean works her ass off to ensure we have better experience than previous classes, all complaints were resolved in a week and you see her almost weekly in school.
4. School is implementing CADCAM in clinic= 7-20 minutes crown fabrication. This is where future holds for dentistry!!!
5. It all depends who you wanna be! You have to cut corners and compromises here and there to make things happen and Nova is best at this! All department chairs are easy to talk to if you want to specialize.
7. Most people want to specialize matched from what I heard, but seriously you don't even know if you like dentistry or not right now, why ask? A lot of people in dental school just want to do the minimum and don't give a **** about their pts well being.
9. And if you have to worry about money, don't go to dental school at all. DENTISTRY IS EXPENSIVE, THATS WHY WE CHARGE PREMIUM!

I can tell you're from south florida just by reading numbers 1 and 9.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Lots of parties!!!!

What about the dental experience they offer there? Do you feel you got enough experience (patients, equipment, etc) to go out there when you graduate and feel confident you will do a good job of any kind?

What about the dental experience they offer there? Do you feel you got enough experience (patients, equipment, etc) to go out there when you graduate and feel confident you will do a good job of any kind?

hi alvadentistry
why don't you try to search the other threads about the topic? This topic has been covered. ask yourself if you like graduating with 6 crowns?

hi alvadentistry
why don't you try to search the other threads about the topic? This topic has been covered. ask yourself if you like graduating with 6 crowns?
Even if the thread has been covered, and if I had read them all, I like to ask people anyways because everybody has a different opinion.

hi alvadentistry

When did you graduate?

W

I personally got a lot done in school and so do my close friends.
1. I have done about 20 crowns in past 6 months.
2. Numerous fillings
3. Some extractions (about 20, 2 of them are surgical)
4. Have a couple implants down the road to restore
5. More than 5 dentures
...etc

It all depends on how you want your experience to be like in school. I am in school all day everyday since third year, constantly busy treating pt or looking for pts. You have to be motivated.
There are people who whining about not doing any procedures but again they were not here everyday, they were not in optional clinic.
Ask me more if you wanna know.

Nova is a great school from what I've heard. Endless patients for you to work on. Living in Florida isn't too bad either =p

I graduated from Nova last year and had a great time. It's a great location and can open doors to any specialties or residency you may want to consider. Like any school there are strengths and weaknesses. I enjoyed my stay and would say most were happy. It does cost a lot but I feel like that is the norm unless you happen to come from a state where you get very cheap in state tuition which are slim pickings. I applied to ortho and matched and so did all 6 others who applied my year. 3 applied for surgery and matched. I think every program will offer opportunity you just have to pay your dues. I had a wonderful time in Florida and wouldn't have like going to any other program more than I did spending my time at Nova. I hope this helps but just take a look at what's important to you and second remember that all programs will leave you with a dmd/dds at the end and that it what matters most. Best of luck with your decision process.
1. Lots of parties!!!!

====
I'd like to talk to you please since going to interview this Fri and having hard time to give up Rutgers offer...

I personally got a lot done in school and so do my close friends.
1. I have done about 20 crowns in past 6 months.
2. Numerous fillings
3. Some extractions (about 20, 2 of them are surgical)
4. Have a couple implants down the road to restore
5. More than 5 dentures
...etc

It all depends on how you want your experience to be like in school. I am in school all day everyday since third year, constantly busy treating pt or looking for pts. You have to be motivated.
There are people who whining about not doing any procedures but again they were not here everyday, they were not in optional clinic.
Ask me more if you wanna know.

Must be an appropriate handle then. All the hot girls in my class got stuff handed to them as well.

Do they still do the "random lottery" for spots at NMB and Oakland Park? What a crock. I was sitting in Kodisch's office one day when I heard her say "he sent me a mean a-mail the other day, he's not getting Oakland Park" For those who don't know, if you rotate at Oakland park you get req's handed to you, no stress, etc. NMB is like starting over at the Davie clinic. It actually inhibits you from getting stuff done. So yeah, F%$K Nova.

Everyone gets NMB and Oakland Park now. So you don't have to worry.