Question for those who applied to medical school their junior year and didn't take a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for those who applied to medical school their junior year and didn't take a gap year:

1. When specifically did you take the MCAT?
2. Did you finish a full year of general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and biology by the end of your sophomore year?
3. Do you have any advice for a sophomore who doesn't want to take a gap year, and is struggling to fit all of the classes tested on the MCAT into her schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Took it January of my Junior year.
2. Finished all pre reqs by fall quarter junior year. (started a quarter behind my classmates)
3. Take your time, and consider summer classes if you are worried about fitting everything in. Remember that grades are important but they are only one aspect of the application and you should also be sure to get involved in both clinical/non clinical volunteering, some research, and hopefully some personal hobbies that you like to do in your spare time.

Reactions: 1 user
1. I took it June (turned in my primary application 2 weeks later)
2. Finished all of my prerequisites by fall of junior year.
3. Same as the above poster. But don't be afraid to take a gap year if it means you will be more competitive. Med school isn't going anywhere and the average matriculant age is 24 (an average of 2 gap years). The goal is to apply 1 time and when you are at your best.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Took MCAT in April
2. I still had physics 2 left after sophomore year; took it during 1st semester junior year.
3. Take a prep course; my classes in college didn't help me that much for the MCAT. It was the prep course I took that really helped.

Question for those who applied to medical school their junior year and didn't take a gap year:

2. Did you finish a full year of general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and biology by the end of your sophomore year?
3. Do you have any advice for a sophomore who doesn't want to take a gap year, and is struggling to fit all of the classes tested on the MCAT into her schedule?

1. late June the summer I applied
2. Gen Chem--used AP credits, Organic -- took 1 year freshman year, Physics -- finished 1 year during my Junior fall, Biology-- finished 1 year during my sophomore year (genetics and molecular bio).
3. I taught myself any content I didn't know for the MCAT--lots of gen chem review, and lots of physiology review since I hadn't taken these subjects since high school. If there's a few gaps and you're a strong self learner, you should be able to fill them in yourself. If you're missing big chunks of foundation, take some extra time--take summer classes or a gap year. Don't overload yourself with too many hard classes and get a low GPA. Better to apply a year later with a high GPA than a year earlier with a lower one.

Last edited:
1. May of application year (end of junior year)
2. Yes (gen chem + physics freshman year, bio + orgo sophomore year)
3. Take summer classes, teach yourself the material, or take a gap year. It's not the end of the world to take a gap year, you can earn some money, and you get a break from school. I don't know anyone who regretted their gap year, but I know plenty of people who regret not taking one.

Last edited:
1. May of junior year
2. No. I still had a year of physics, which I completed junior year.
3. My college courses didn't help me much with MCAT prep. Self-studying was much more effective in my case.

1) August after sophomore year
2) No. Didn't have second semester biology or physics.
3) Take all the pre-reqs first! Take a prep course! Give yourself plenty of time to study. Or take a gap year. Applying during your senior year is very difficult due to having to fit in the MCAT and everything prior to applications, only having three years of ECs to list on AMCAS, and then having to travel during senior year and miss class for interviews. It's certainly possible! But it's challenging.

1. Sept after sophomore year.
2. No. I still had a quarter of physics (quarter system school), but that only included a few topics on the MCAT.
3. I highly recommend using the summer to study vs. during school so that you're not overloaded with information. You only want to take the test once and nail it, and you also only want to apply once and nail it. If that means you have to take a gap year, then take the gap year. It's better to be 1 year out and first time applying than 1 year out and labelled re-applicant. imo prep classes are a waste of money, but to each his/her own.

1. I took the MCAT on May 8th, scores were released roughly a month later, after I submitted my AMCAS Primary, but before the app got released to med schools. The timing was near perfect, although I would have liked my scores before June 3rd just to be safe :)
2. By the end of sophomore year, I had taken 1 year of physics, orgo, and biology. I still had P.Chem (the second semester of Gen Chem at my school) to go, which I took during the Fall of Junior year.
3. Advice? Reconsider your vendetta against a gap year. If I could go back and take a gap year, I very well might. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that I know I'll be a medical student in 7ish months. But I honestly think the extra year would have allowed me to elaborate and expand upon my application, giving it some more depth and character.
-- If you really don't wanna take a gap year, then make sure to take all pre-reqs before the MCAT, and use your summer months extremely effectively!

Reactions: 1 users
Don't forget that you will need biochem, psych and sociology. I am doing it the hard way, finishing prereqs in April and taking the new test in May.
If I am not ready I am prepared to take a gap year. A year of additional research, clinical experience, volunteering and life experience can only help.