Question on anatomy book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dead_Meat

MS Graduate Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this anatomy book sufficient for M1?

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Anatomy...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243545809&sr=8-6

<The story behind it: I told my office mate (who was accepted to medical school) to buy Netters. He said it (being the above Martini book) was the only thing he needed besides wikipedia>.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait until you get to your medical school and see what you need as each school is different. Check with your upperclassmen and see what they thought was good or adequate. If you purchase everything that somebody thinks is great, you can end up with books that you don't use or books that are a complete waste of time which you won't have tons of in the first place. In my case, I didn't need to buy anything for my Gross Anatomy class other than a dissector.

My anatomy professor at my undergrad said it was used as an anatomy text for nurses, so maybe not?

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt it would be sufficient. Moore and Dalley seems to be a pretty standard text for med students. You also need an atlas. Netters and/or Rohen is what 95% of med schools use. (I use both).

Having said that, like the above poster said, wait until school starts and buy whatever the upper classmen tell you to buy.

Every school is different. Wait or try to find out what they use.
We got a very comprehensive set of notes, but an atlas was needed as well. The notes referenced Netter, so that's what we used. I didn't use any other text.

Use the textbook the medical school recommends. I find Netters by far to be the best. We also used Moore's clinical anatomy.

I didn't buy anything at all for anatomy. Ever. And I did well. Just wait til you get there and see what the vibe is. Most of my classmates survived on just Netters and class packets.

I doubt it would be sufficient. Moore and Dalley seems to be a pretty standard text for med students. You also need an atlas. Netters and/or Rohen is what 95% of med schools use. (I use both).

Having said that, like the above poster said, wait until school starts and buy whatever the upper classmen tell you to buy.

We used Moore and Dalley as our text. Our anatomy professor didn't like Netter's atlas, so we used Gilroy since that's what the notes referenced. It's best to wait and see.

Netters isn't the best, just the atlas du jour. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good, but after a while you get a sense of it's limitations - especially in the head and neck. If I had to do anatomy over again, I would go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Anatomy-Clinical-Bernhard-Tillmann/dp/1603110445

This book was hanging around our anatomy lab, and it blew me away. When Netter's failed, this book was the gold standard. Approaches everything from multiple perspectives, from illustrations to diagrams to actual cadaver images.

If you just want stunning images, I recommend Thieme's. Top notch artwork, makes Netter look like he shouldn't have quit his day job.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Anatomy-Thieme-Anne-Gilroy/dp/160406062X

Last edited:
My philosophy for anatomy is that any book will work as long as it allows you to identify the structures on your cadaver, becuase your cadavers are the ultimate atlas! They will have all the structures you need to identify (unless you get one like mine that had no colon, uterus, gallbladder, or rectum). In that case someone else will have the structures you need.

My lab partners used to crack me up, I'd show them a structure on the body and they would be searching through Netter's looking for a picture of it and be like "I can't find it on this plate in Netter's!" I'd say, "look, it's right here on the body, why do you need to look in that book?"

your cadavers are the ultimate atlas!

I disagree. In cadavers, everything except the gallbladder is some slight variation of beige. Most nerves have a tensile strength slightly above that of cobwebs. You can't completely follow one structure without destroying 10 others. Don't even get me started on common and uncommon variations that your body may or may not have.

Lastly, cadavers tend to be poorly annotated, which is really the most important part of any atlas.

Netter's Atlas and Grant's dissector were what I used. Reading and studying from the dissector alone was very helpful because it helped you form a 3D visualization of different structures (and how they positionally relate to each other). I also have Essential Clinical Anatomy but I RARELY used it because my professor's syllabus notes were sufficient.

Netter's flashcards were also useful in the week before the anatomy exams for cramming.

Netter's annoys me...the text is freaking tiny and I hate having to trace terms back to the structures...as Goljan says there's way too much going on in Netter's.

As for Rohen it has its limitations as well. It's more of a quiz yourself atlas than a reference...what are you going to do in gross lab...find a structure and then be like

"Okay, now what is number 46...??"

nobody has time to do that in lab...there is hardly enough time to even get through the dissector...

If I could do it over again I'd would have bought up as many atlases as I could afford because each of them bring something different to the table and when you are studying the foramina of the skull you'll need all them just to locate all the anatomical lardmarks your prof wants you to...

And Moore's rocks but it's a slow read and if you can't visualize the structures in your mind's eye without referring to a schematic every other sentence it will pretty much be worthless for you. Personally, I didn't have that problem.

Martini's is a good textbook for nurses, but it's a bit simplistic for med school. :)